Non-price competition? Here's another take on it.

    ...in a free market - and by free here I mean the ideal forms of
    capitalism propounded in the Wealth of Nations, the lowest
    cost-provider wins. Now as it turns out this type of capitalism is
    not what we see in the software industry. And in the long term
    those with the current monopoly cannot compete with Free Software
    on price or quality. So the monopolist must resort to other means
    - it must prevent the market from being free, because a free
    market means it loses its vast and expanding powers.
                            -- Andreas Pour

The interview is here:

    http://www.ofb.biz/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=158

(This is not a technical piece, but for those completely unacquainted
with Linux, KDE is an (optional) bunch of software that provides a GUI
-- buttons, popup menus, dialog boxes etc. -- for computers using the
GNU/Linux operating system.  Like GNU-ware and Linux, it is freeware.)

- Mike

--
Michael Spencer                  Nova Scotia, Canada

[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://home.tallships.ca/mspencer/