Chris, IMHO you just gave a good reason for every citizen to become more
involved and informed about his/her own government to participate in the
political process that decides who, what, when, where and how taxes are
spent and collected: exercising collective majority influence.

Sometimes, against all odds.

Libertarian anarchy would ensue if we could each selected a la carte what we
did and did not want to fund: my school vs your school, for instance.  We
would quickly return to feudal society.  Some might like that idea in
theory, but I doubt would like it in practice.  The alternative is to
participate, of course, in the society we've got and that's the challenge.

Of course, as the colorful FW debate continues to illustrate, there will
always be disagreement in theory and application.  - Karen
Jan wrote: Why would anyone see paying taxes as a punishment? It is the duty
of every citizen to contribute to the common good.

Chris wrote: The second phrase is certainly true, but is that really what is
accomplished by paying taxes?  Considering how badly tax money is being
mis-spent (esp. in the US, but also EU), citizens could much better
contribute to the common good by spending their money for other things than
taxes.  E.g. an US peace activist certainly sees it as a punishment that he
is being forced to fund wars of attrition.  And an EU vegetarian may well
see it as a punishment that he must fund animal factories (that gooble up
much of the EU budget).
Outgoing Mail Scanned by NAV 2002