I sent the following to Brian McAndrews and the list earlier today, but I don’t think it got through. So, again.

Ed

Hi Brian,

One has to be a little careful in generalizing about gas sniffing and
suicide. Some communities are notoriously dysfunctional while others are
very much together and well able to cope with the kinds of transitions
Western society has imposed on them. What seems most important is the
degree of displacement from their own traditions that a people have
sustained and how rapidly this happened. The Innu communities of
Sheshatshui and Davis Inlet, Labrador, have had a lot of press about gas
sniffing, perpetually drunk adults not looking after their kids, etc.
However, what is usually not said is that these people have suffered
enormous displacement during the past two generations or so. Ancestral
lands, including burial grounds, were flooded by hydro development, people
out on the land have been buzzed by military jets, and the communities the
people were moved into were very badly located in terms of traditional
harvesting areas.

In some work I did in northern Saskatchewan about ten years ago, I ran into
one community which was at least as bad, and again displacement over a
relatively short period seems to have been a major part of the problem. If
you want to know more about it, I've posted some field notes on the web at:
http://members.eisa.com/~ec086636/north_saskatchewan.htm

Why Native kids commit suicide at a relatively high rate is a bit of a
mystery. They may do so for different reasons than kids who commit suicide
in our society. We tend to see suicidal kids as being depressed to the
point of seeing no other way out. That may well be the case with many
Native kids, but there may be other motives as well. About twenty years
ago, there was a rash of teenage suicides at Tuktoyaktuk in the Mackezie
Delta, a place I was very familiar with at the time. From all I heard,
these kids did not appear to be depressed and apparently behaved quite
normally until, suddenly, they were gone. That the place was booming with
oil and gas exploration may have been a factor, but I'm not sure of how one
would make the connection. People speculated that peer emulation was a
cause - if so and so could do it, so can I - but I think that is also
reaching a bit. For whatever reason, six kids were gone within a matter of
weeks.

The media being what it is, one tends to hear much more about bad cases than
good ones. However, there are many "together" Native communities in
norrthern Canada in which people cope with day to day life and look after
their kids as well as anybody else does. Many people have moved out of
problem communities for the sake of their families. Yellowknife has a
population of about 20,000, and includes some 5,000 Native people, many of
whom have moved there from smaller communities to take government jobs and
give their kids a better chance at life. Much the same thing has happened
in other northern communities which offer a better chance - Whitehorse,
Prince Albert, and Iqaluit, for example.

Regards, Ed

Ed Weick
577 Melbourne Ave.
Ottawa, ON, K2A 1W7