That is true.   You should check out the farm communities in Vermont.    High depression, alcoholism and suicide rate comparable to any of the reservations in the US and they are not Indian.

REH
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Tuesday, December 10, 2002 3:45 PM
Subject: RE: Community decline (was gas sniffing, etc)

Yes, and I was also trying to make the point here as elsewhere that teen delinquency and suicides, alcoholism and other distress signals are not exclusive to Indian communities.

Of course, we all know that, it just hadn’t come up in the discussion, much as it was noted recently that there had been no note of power in the transactions of trade.

Elsewhere I am trying to introduce the disparity in society and perceptions among a different group of individuals who are less global, more entrenched inside the box information and knowledge consumers.  Sometimes my posts carry over comments that may seem elementary here, and I apologize for that.

Again, here in Oregon, last summer’s water wars in the Klamath River area symbolized the struggle the state has over allocating funds to rural areas that are not producing revenue.  The Klamath farm belt was conceived and marketed by the federal gov’t long ago but completely dependent on irrigation, which was legally acknowledged to be the property rights of the Klamath tribe first and foremost.

Lee Hockstadter did an excellent piece for PBS showcasing that the farmers’ wanted their share of the water, but many of them did not invest in their own equipment and are subsidized by the federal gov’t for water, and without it would be out of business, something their bankers already know.  This fall’s massive salmon die-off after the Bush administration switched priority to the not-producing farmers, lowering water levels and creating disease pools instead of river, added heat to this environmental-business equation.  Sadly, many of those farmers would sell their land back to the federal gov’t if the offer were made.  With Oregon’s current budget crises, there is more noise demanding that the state quit “wasting dollars” in the larger rural areas and redirect it to the metropolitan centers that are driving the state economy.

So, the Prairie Wars continue.  Always good to see more of your field notes, Ed.

Ed wrote:  Karen, thanks for the piece on rural decline in the US.  Several parts of agricultural Canada are in no better shape.  Increasingly, it does seem that rural areas are dependent for their income on transfers from urban/industrial centres, and not on what they can produce themselves.  There remains a mystique about the rural way of life and the family farm, but even that is beginning to wear thin with the growing recognition that many farms are probably no longer viable unless they are heavily subsidized or supported by special marketing arrangements.

Karen

East of Portland, West of Mt Hood

Outgoing Mail Scanned by NAV 2002