-----Original Message-----
From: Harry Pollard [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Wednesday, December 11, 2002 4:49 PM
To: Brad McCormick, Ed.D.; Selma Singer
Cc: Ray Evans Harrell; Mantle, Rosalyn; Anthony, David; Bradskey,
Teresa; Cole, Karen Watters; Dawn Anthony; Downs , Jason; Dunn, Darcy;
H, Joan; harrell, jane; Krueger, Jack A.; Sagowa; Sleigh, Ben and Roz;
Watters, Valorie; futurework
Subject: Re: Whining ("Stop it! And say: 'Thank you'! .... ) + The
Invisible Hand

Brad and Selma,

Selma, price-fixing, corporate bailouts, subsidies, import quotas and
tariffs are antithetical to the free market. All of them are supported by,
lobbied for, bought and paid for, by corporate monopolies. All are
anti-market privileges that make the corporations wealthy at the expense of
the rest of us.

If one opposes the free market, one is in the same corner as GM, Ford,
Chrysler,
the agricultural corporations, and all the others who use a willing
government (whether Republican or Democratic) to feather their nests at the
expense of the people.

Brad wrote:

"The goal is to show how the invisible hand cuts off its own circulation
(turnd gangrenous, etc.).  Unfortunately, as Harry keeps pointing out to
us, governments and others keep restraining the invisible hand from hurting
itself, both for practical reasons, but also just out of spite to keep
making sure Marx stays wrong."

Your prose is, as always, entertaining - though it lacks a certain
coherence.

You say you read what I say, but I doubt it. I'll try once more. Smith
pointed out that if each of us goes freely about our business, exchanging
our goods, services, and ideas with each other, although we do so each for
his individual well-being, as if by an invisible hand, the whole community
will be benefited.

In other words, the community will be an awfully good place to live in,
because the inhabitants are free to exchange.

Brad, you act as if the invisible hand is a kind of material bogeyman which
does things and can have things done to it. Not the case - "as if by an
invisible hand" is the phrase you should remember. Not, I fear, that you
will. Whatever the subject, you manage to get a little "invisible hand" and
"Bush" into the post.

Read Marx's third volume of Kapital - "Capitalist production as a whole".
After a lot of involved nonsense in Volume I - mostly repeated in Volume II
- Volume III has a lot of good stuff. Unfortunately, it's the volume almost
never read. Communists read Volume I, or more likely, a condensed Volume I
- and that's it. I don't remember ever checking how much of Volume III is
Marx and how much is Engels, but in any event it's the volume worth reading
- even though neither of them was a fighter pilot.

What do you mean by a "trade relation". As it so happens, I do have a trade
relationship with Toyota. I like their products. My first station wagon I
kept for 8 years - even though I had a tax advantage if I bought a new one
earlier.

In 8 years, I didn't even have to replace a light bulb.

I got a new one so a son could have the old one. He's had it for another 8
years, though he has had various maintenance items to deal with. I leased
the new one - the tax advantages were worthwhile. I handled it through a
friend in the business who happens to be a Georgist.

I listened on a speaker phone as he bargained with the wholesaler. He was
trying to get $1,000 kickback on the wholesale price. He failed, but he did
get $800 which went to me. I normally buy for cash, but for a lease I had
to do it through Bank of America.

I then learned that the banks have two interest rates - the one they charge
you and the one they ask from the dealer. The difference over 3 years was
more than $2,000.

That advantage also came to me. But, all over the country, people are
buying cars that they think are priced lowest, when hidden in those
"lowest" prices are all kinds of hidden extras.

One is naive to think that this kind of thing can be dealt with by
government regulation, or policing - particularly as government is in the
pockets of the car companies. Also, in the pockets of the automobile
unions, for the unions get their higher wages by sharing some of the loot
provided by  government largesse. (Even though it harms the rest of the
people.)

The only way to handle it is by "Cut-price Competition" or the "Law of the
Jungle" - epithets invented not by the world's consumers, but by the
world's monopolists. They don't like the free market.

The free market is not just something to be enjoyed just by villagers, but
by all the world's peoples at every level.

Harry Pollard
Henry George School of LA
Box 655
Tujunga  CA  91042