Krugman  page 4 of 4

VI. Plutocracy?
In 1924, the mansions of Long Island's North Shore were still in their full
glory, as was the political power of the class that owned them. When Gov. Al
Smith of New York proposed building a system of parks on Long Island, the
mansion owners were bitterly opposed. One baron -- Horace Havemeyer, the
''sultan of sugar'' -- warned that North Shore towns would be ''overrun with
rabble from the city.'' ''Rabble?'' Smith said. ''That's me you're talking
about.'' In the end New Yorkers got their parks, but it was close: the
interests of a few hundred wealthy families nearly prevailed over those of
New York City's middle class.

America in the 1920's wasn't a feudal society. But it was a nation in which
vast privilege -- often inherited privilege -- stood in contrast to vast
misery. It was also a nation in which the government, more often than not,
served the interests of the privileged and ignored the aspirations of
ordinary people.

Those days are past -- or are they? Income inequality in America has now
returned to the levels of the 1920's. Inherited wealth doesn't yet play a
big part in our society, but given time -- and the repeal of the estate
tax -- we will grow ourselves a hereditary elite just as set apart from the
concerns of ordinary Americans as old Horace Havemeyer. And the new elite,
like the old, will have enormous political power.

Kevin Phillips concludes his book ''Wealth and Democracy'' with a grim
warning: ''Either democracy must be renewed, with politics brought back to
life, or wealth is likely to cement a new and less democratic regime --
plutocracy by some other name.'' It's a pretty extreme line, but we live in
extreme times. Even if the forms of democracy remain, they may become
meaningless. It's all too easy to see how we may become a country in which
the big rewards are reserved for people with the right connections; in which
ordinary people see little hope of advancement; in which political
involvement seems pointless, because in the end the interests of the elite
always get served.

Am I being too pessimistic? Even my liberal friends tell me not to worry,
that our system has great resilience, that the center will hold. I hope
they're right, but they may be looking in the rearview mirror. Our optimism
about America, our belief that in the end our nation always finds its way,
comes from the past -- a past in which we were a middle-class society. But
that was another country.

Paul Krugman

Now let me make a Post Script to Krugman.

In 1966 several of my buddies in the Army Chorus came to New York City to
study voice with the leading teachers of the day.   They paid 35 dollars a
lesson for lessons with the people who were not the top but on the second
rung of the ladder.   The dollar today is worth six times less than it was
in 1966.    You arithmetic whizzes can figure that out, I'm sure.    You
figure out how much that would be.    Today's top teachers in New York are
in some cases charging little more than half the amount that the second tier
private teachers charged in 1966 and the prices for everything in the city
have gone up six times (at least)  in order to live.

Where they had professional apartments and uniform rent control in 1966
today most of us pay at least a third above the five fold 1970 cost of rent
due to rent destabilization and with the current increases in property tax
(25% increase to make up for problems passed down from Washington and Wall
Street) our rent will go up an equal amount at the end of the current
leases.    To put it another way, our current two rooms plus 5x5 kitchen and
Bath costs 100 dollars more than my two bedroom two bath large living and
dining room did in 1980, pre-Ronald Reagan.     But if I charged $210 for my
lessons I would be the most expensive voice teacher in New York City and the
students who are like we were in the Army certainly couldn't pay the fee
these days.     Why?    Because they have less money than we did comparably
and not more.   The above article explains where that money went.    Our
lessons are not cheaper because of better productivity, in fact our having
to work longer hours and harder creates poorer students because we don't
have time to put in the extra practice and language study that the old
teachers developed through their long years.

Product quality has suffered and we hear that the European countries that
used to hire young American singers don't need to anymore.    That they are
practicing unfair labor practices.    But the truth of the matter is that
Europeans can afford to take, in many cases, one voice lesson A DAY not one
a week or less.    They also get a lot of on stage practice because there
are more working stages.    And finally I will leave it to an old Army
Chorus buddy who competed for a while in Europe before he came home to drive
a truck.     He said American Singers are "better musicians, have better
languages and sing with better intonation than the Europeans."    In short
he said: "Americans are trained to sing in church while the Europeans are
trained for the stage and we can't compete."      Today's Americans are even
being out competed at home as the Russian poor come here and compete for
roles.    Russia had the most advanced operatic system in the world that
trained people as apprentice artists and not to sing in churches.    I will
finish this with the statement that the First Baptist Church in Ada,
Oklahoma has an orchestra.    Do any of you know where Ada is?     It is
where I was born and is the capital of the Chickasaw Indian Nation.

REH