Arthur,

I did. In 1938, unemployment increased again. Why, when the government had solved the problem.

Just one item - the Smoot-Hawley tariff was a terrible mistake.

You are merely making my point. All these things did not affect the economic depression. They helped people to survive it a little better. As I also mentioned, FDR became an avuncular symbol of the US doing its best for its people. Events like packing the Supreme Court and suchlike were unimportant.

But, I can't remember anything he did that spurred us out of depression.

But, the parallel with now is clear. Neither then, or now, did the "experts" know what caused the depression (or recession) - 0r the booms that preceded them. So, as they don't know, can we blame them for not doing anything significant?

But his confident manner and Fireside Chats buoyed the spirits of the people and made him an electoral certainty. Rather as did Churchill in our dark days after Dunkirk, when we faced an apparently invincible Nazi army with one lone Canadian Armored Brigade

I liked FDR because he was obviously pro-British - or at least anti-Nazi - long before many of his confreres.

And he helped us.

But, he didn't do much of anything in finding the cause of depression and its cure.

If only he could have read my posts.

Arthur wrote:

Harry,

You say "Without doubt, government activities prolonged the depression".  I
say prove it.

I think most people recognize the positive role of govt as seen with
activities such as the CCC, the WPA.  And more.

Wonder  why the people kept voting FDR into office?  Maybe because, as the
song says, "he was a friend of the working man."

arthur