Harry,

At 17:14 18/12/02 -0800, you wrote:
>As I keep saying. Neither Republicans, nor Democrats, have a clue why the
>economy is in recession, nor why it was booming in the first place.

Exactly. And at the risk of this message being called "crap" again, I would
agree with you wholeheartedly. The "economists" to day, and most
"economists" of pretty well all the past century have little idea either.

I have a great respect for the intellectual competence of the so-called
"economists" of today. Most of those we hear about are brilliant people --
there's no doubt about that. I have two bookshelves of standard texts by
Baumol, Binder, Mankiw, Dornbusch, Samuelson, Nordhaus and several other
less well known ones. Most of these texts are superbly written with a
precision of language which is all too rare these days. I have been dipping
into them now for several years off and on (ever since I joined FW list
some four/five years ago) -- considerably more often than the average
university student of economics has ever done I'm sure. But if you asked
any of the above text-book writers, none of them -- as you say above --
would be able to offer you a good strategy for America at the present time.
Nor is it likely that any two of them would agree with each other on more
than one or two simple issues. Nor is it possible that any two of them
could have any sort of straightforward argument based on agreed postulates
-- as Ricardo and Malthus used to, or as many scientists do today over
their hypotheses. (I suppose the debate between the Friedmanites and the
Keynesians in the last century was the nearest thing we had but even they
had different definitions of the terms they used.)

The reason is that just as governments (that is, civil servants, who are
the real bosses) have dug themselves deeper and deeper into the ordinary
matters of our everyday lives -- supposedly for our benefit, but actually
for the sake of their status and careers -- in the course of this century,
so have economists felt they had to find some rhyme or reason that could
also include government policy and spending *as though* these were basic
parts of the subject. In other words, economists have been forced by recent
circumstances to look at all sorts of relatively unimportant expenditure
pathways (albeit sizeable and which can do damage!) within nations which
are really not fundamental to human economic activities. (e.g. The cost of
transfer payments ends up at twice the size of the actual receipts.) They
are cultural artefacts which will tend to disappear when the era of easy
prosperity based on oil and gas passes away and civil servants start to
lose all contact with real affairs -- which is what they always do sooner
or later because they make everything too complex for even themselves to
handle (e.g. the Chinese empire on at least two occasions, the Ottoman
Empire, the British Empire, most recently the USSR, etc, etc).
(Increasingly, the UK Inland Revenue department is unable to interpret its
own tax legislation because it's become too complex.) (And the more complex
tax legislation becomes, the more loopholes are made which the rich can
take advantage of.)

In other words, for about a century now, professional "economists" haven't
been able to see the wood for the trees.

And, of course, because the economists of today rely on statistics mainly
collected by governments (or at least measured in the variable-value tokens
we call money), they are actually missing out on the relevance and nature
of what I reckon to be about 50-60% of the world's economic activities.
Within the developed nations, economists are missing out on between 15-40%
of the economic activities within national economies (that is, the
so-called 'grey' or 'black' economies), and probably another 10-20% of
world trade and investment due to counterfeit cash and the drugs mafia.
Also, within the poorer half of the undeveloped world, almost all the
economic activities are unmeasured and unmeasurable. Add all this up as a
sort of mental average and I arrive at about 50-60% as mentioned above.

And then, of course, there's an immense amount of the world's capital which
is totally unused and largely unmeasured and a great deal of which could be
used for constructive economic activities if liberated and entitled. I
refer, of course, to land. Your guru on this subject is George, my guru is
Hernando de Soto whose recent book "The Mystery of Capital" is already
beginning to change economic perceptions in a major way.

Hernando de Soto, while not a formal economist, but an ex-industrialist,
will probably turn out to be the most important economist of the last
century. My grandchildren will be able to have a more balanced view of his
contribution.

Professional economists are missing, let us say, half the data they really
need to make their subject into a genuine science (which it will be one
day, I'm sure) but, during the course of this century, they have shut their
minds to several extremely important features of their subject which,
sooner or later, is going to impact on them with the momentum of a modern
American armoured tank. Pretty well all the text book economists I have
read have patently no idea about the relative productivities (essentially,
thermodynamics) of the major economic systems which man has passed through
(and of the possible new one which he is shortly going to pass into!).

Text book economists seem to have no appreciation whatsoever of the
fantastic increase in productivity which took place when man changed from
hunter-gathering to agriculture and pastoralism. They also have no
appreciation whatsoever of the considerable increase in productivity which
took place when we turned to industrialisation based on coal, oil and gas.
It is no wonder therefore that economists haven't the faintest idea what
might occur in 20/30 years' time as the price of oil and gas starts going
through the roof and, in effect, starts to becomes unavailable to most of
the world. They are not to be blamed for not knowing what energy technology
might, or might not, take over. Nobody knows. But they are most certainly
to be blamed for blundering on blindly at the present time as though our
present sorts of governments are divinely sanctified and as though nature
is somehow going to continue to provide man with an abundance of energy as
absurdly cheap as oil and gas -- as it has been in the course of the last
century.

Economists, generally, have no idea of the essential thermodynamics that
are involved in the business of survival and procreation -- which is what
their subject is truly all about! In the course of the last century,
subjects such as physics, anthropology, biology, genetics and so on have
been giving us increasing insights. If only student economists would learn
the basics of these subjects during their university training and not just
the differential calculus. The sad thing is that academic and textbook
economists of the past century have spurned the help that is available.
They have confined themselves to what can be called the "palace politics"
of their subject and not the expanding horizons of the open plains.

Keith Hudson,6 Upper Camden Place, Bath BA1 5HX, England
Tel:01225 312622/444881; Fax:01225 447727; E-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]