I'm sure a number of you are familiar with much of the literature of the
1970's that dealt with the commodification of human beings: Erich Fromm;
Norman Brown , Marcuse and others are among those who wrote extensively on
the way human beings are damaged by the emphasis on 'having' (as opposed to
'being') and on the terrible price we all pay when we value people in terms
of how they 'perform'-from the price for children in kindergarten and
younger to the price in the bedroom for both women and men who may fall
short of what they believe is satisfactory 'performance'.

It is inspiring to know of efforts to do away with or circumvent the grading
system in schools ( I , too, had some experience with that) but they don't
go very far when we are looking at possible changes to hope for in the
society as a whole.

Do any of you have any ideas about how we might even begin to weaken the
value system that so prizes status and performance and the commodification
of people?

When I hear about the waiting lists for pretigious pre-schools that charge
tens of thousands of dollars a year in tuition, my blood runs cold. The teen
suicide rates, especially among the 'honor students' , the 'high achievers',
etc are dramatic  testimony to the way our  children suffer from this ugly,
anti-human value system, and these dramatic examples are only among the most
visible signs of the cost of human commodification.

In my long life I have not found any group of people willing to attempt to
discuss the possibility of bringing about changes of this kind. Most of the
time it is because they don't even know what I'm talking about; when I am
with people who do understand and may or may not agree, the task seems so
overwheming and  virtually impossible that it becomes painful to even
contemplate what might be done.

Seeing this conversation on this list sparked a small hope in my heart that
we might at least attempt to think about how we might begin to bring about
some changes that would turn us in the direction of at least weakening that
ugly, anti-human value system.

I am grateful to know there are at least a few of you on this list who
recognize the possibility of human beings living in an environment that
values them simply for their existence.

I strongly believe that there is a way to incorporate those values into our
lives and still enjoy the advantages of the advances in human comfort and
pleasure that 'developed' civilizations enjoy.

One of the subjects that was briefly mentioned here within the last couple
of weeks was what I believe is a distinction between status and authority;
that is, when people are valued for their skills, talent, knowledge, etc.
and their authority in those areas is recognized and rewarded but their
status and value as human beings is not enhanced or admired more because of
their superior competence or expertise; the reason for this being that ALL
human beings are equally valued as human beings and entitled to the same
dignity and respect regardless of whether they collect garbage,  manage a
large institution, or compose beautiful music. An issue closely related to
this is, of course, the way we value certain jobs above others and why, for
example, running corporations is valued more than raising children.

As you might imagine, there is much, much more I would like to say about
this but I would rather hear from some others who might pinpoint some
specific areas for us to explore.

Selma