In Tax Twist, Big Vehicles Get the Bigger Deductions
The New York Times

DETROIT, Dec. 19 -- Dr. Tedd March and his partners know a good deal when
they see it. He and his fellow internists who share a practice are taking
advantage of an odd confluence of tax breaks to buy giant sport utility
vehicles, with a healthy subsidy from Uncle Sam.
''I have one partner who just did it with a Suburban,'' said Dr. March, a
42-year-old physician in Monroe, Mich., about 30 miles south of Detroit. He
said he planned to buy a Lincoln Navigator next month, ''and I have a third
partner who's going to buy one the year after.''
The tax deductions -- a combination of longstanding provisions in the tax
code and breaks instituted after the 2001 terror attacks to spur the economy
-- are available only to small-business owners and the self-employed.
Environmental groups, alerted to the tax breaks by a report this week in The
Detroit News, want them ended. They note that despite concerns about the
nation's growing dependence on imported oil, the deductions provide far
greater incentive to buy gas guzzlers like Ford Excursions and General
Motors Hummers than to buy the most fuel-efficient cars, like the Toyota
Prius.
All together, an eligible buyer of a 2003 Hummer H2 could deduct $34,912 of
the $48,800 base price in the vehicle's first year of service, according to
tax rules. That would translate into a tax savings of nearly $13,500 for
someone in the highest personal income tax bracket.
The biggest piece in the package of tax breaks is an immediate deduction for
any depreciable capital expense of $24,000 this year, rising to $25,000
starting next year. Dr. March said that he and his partners are spreading
their purchases over three years so that each vehicle would qualify for the
full deduction. (He said that an S.U.V. was a necessity for a doctor who has
to get to work during Michigan winters.)
In addition, businesses can take the normal depreciation on vehicles over
five years, starting with a 20 percent deduction in the first year. An extra
dollop of tax savings comes from a bonus 30 percent first-year deduction on
capital expenses, part of an economic stimulus package approved by Congress
after the Sept. 11 attacks. Both are computed after the $24,000 deduction.
The deal is not nearly so generous for buyers of less-than-gargantuan
vehicles. When the portion of the tax code governing these kinds of
deductions was written in the 1980's, deductions for the purchase of an
automobile were capped. Currently, a business can deduct no more than $7,660
for a car in its first year of service (including the 30 percent bonus),
$4,900 in the second year and less in the succeeding years.
The limits were imposed, tax experts say, to prevent businesses from loading
up on Cadillacs and Mercedeses at taxpayers' expense. But the cap was not
extended to trucks and vans with a gross vehicle weight -- basically the
weight fully loaded -- of 6,000 pounds or more.
Back then, that gave businesses the ability to take big tax deductions on
vehicles used for construction, farming or hauling. Today, the tax benefits
extend to dozens of vehicles that make the weight limit -- from sport
utility vehicles like the Cadillac Escalade and BMW X5, which are typically
used as family transportation, to pickups like the GMC Sierra and the
Chevrolet Silverado.
That has made environmentalists livid.
''We think it's outrageous that the government is giving special treatment
to these vehicles under the guise that they are used for farm or work
purposes,'' said Michelle Robinson, a spokeswoman for the Union of Concerned
Scientists, an environmental group. ''Congress needs to step up and close
this loophole, especially at a time when we clearly, now more than ever,
need to be saving oil and not promoting the biggest gas guzzlers.''
Though there is a special $2,000 tax deduction for purchasers of
alternative-fuel and electric-powered vehicles, the qualifying vehicles
naturally weigh less than 6,000 pounds, and the benefits therefore are
capped.
For example, an owner of a small business who takes the maximum deductions
on a $20,500 Prius could trim $9,660 from his taxable income. To a taxpayer
in the highest bracket, that means a tax saving of $3,500.
The Prius, a hybrid that teams a traditional gasoline-powered engine with an
electric motor, gets an average of 48 miles per gallon, according to
government data. The H2 is so big that General Motors does not have to
report its fuel efficiency to the government; drivers say it gets a combined
11 miles per gallon in city and highway driving.
The Monroe doctors' accountant is spreading the word about the advantages of
buying a behemoth.
''As soon as they passed the law, it dawned on me that this is a real tax
break for some people,'' said the accountant, Jim Jenkins of Southfield,
Mich. ''For example, a self-employed realtor who buys, say, a Lincoln
Navigator and pays $40,000, he puts zero down, he gets zero percent interest
and gets a $32,000 tax deduction.''
It is a deal he is considering for himself.
''I drive a Ford Explorer,'' Mr. Jenkins said, a sport utility vehicle not
quite big enough to qualify for the enlarged deduction. The vehicles that
do, he added, ''are just bigger than anything I want, but with that tax
deduction dangling in front of me, it's tempting.''