http://www.eduventures.com
The Education Economy
Published by Eduventures, Inc.
January 8, 2003
No. 135

Editor's Note:
We are pleased to announce the upcoming publication of the second edition of
The Eduventures 100: Leading Businesses Transforming the Education Economy.
This in-depth resource will provide a year-end assessment of leading
pre-K-12, postsecondary, and corporate training businesses that demonstrated
market leadership in 2002 and that Eduventures expects will continue to
drive industry success through 2003. Look for the report later this month at
www.eduventures.com <http://www.eduventures.com> .

As always, we look forward to your feedback; please direct comments to us at
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

INDUSTRY FOCUS

A Letter from Eduventures President & CEO Thomas D. Dretler

Dear Industry Colleagues,

As we enter 2003 - a year that many of us expect will continue to be
challenging from an economic and geopolitical perspective, I want to share
with you our warmest wishes for a happy and healthy new year and some
insight into the way in which Eduventures is helping its clients prepare for
the challenges and opportunities in the year ahead.

In 2003, we believe organizations will face similar challenges to those
faced in 2002 – restricted budgets, long sales cycles, management turnover,
turbulent capital markets, and industry consolidation. However, we believe
firmly that growth opportunities in 2003 are great for those organizations
that can improve efficiencies, maintain their customer or enrollment base,
and develop strategies to take advantage of the myriad opportunities
available in this rapidly evolving market.

Eduventures is a research and advisory firm dedicated to supporting the
growth of organizations operating in the K-12, higher education, and
corporate learning markets. Our mission is to improve education by helping
organizations in this market achieve their goals. We serve education
businesses, technology vendors, financial firms, educational institutions,
and service organizations committed to improving learning outcomes around
the world. We offer our clients an annualized relationship that produces
measurable business results.

The relationship takes the form of a research services subscription that is
supported by a suite of research products. The service provides our client
organizations with direct, hands-on support from Eduventures in developing
strategy, testing assumptions, and identifying opportunities for growth. The
research products provide data and insight in four key areas:  1) market
definition and forecasts; 2) competitive assessments; 3) M&A alerts and
analysis; and 4) customer data.

As a supplement to our research packages, Eduventures offers advisory
services that allow for the production of more customized and proprietary
client deliverables. Hundreds of Eduventures’ clients have commissioned
projects ranging from strategic plan development to in-depth customer
surveys to identifying acquisition opportunities to custom research. All
projects are confidential and staffed by best-in-class analysts who have a
unique understanding of the market and our clients’ needs.

Eduventures also provides – through our partnership with Reed Exhibition
Companies – conferences that connect vendors and educational institutions in
meaningful ways that allow for incisive industry discussion and
opportunities to transact business.

We believe that now, more than ever, organizations in education markets need
an ongoing resource that can support the development and execution of
organizational strategies that will allow them to grow and prosper during
these uncertain economic times. Through our research and advisory practices
and industry events, Eduventures strives to be that resource.

From our corporate family to yours, we wish for you a happy, healthy, and
prosperous 2003, and we look forward to serving you in the year ahead.

Sincerely,

Thomas D. Dretler
President & CEO
Eduventures, Inc.

INDUSTRY NEWS HIGHLIGHTS: December 16, 2002 - January 3, 2003
Compiled by Kristen Holmstrand <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

For a complete list of headlines and summaries of key stories, please visit
our Daily Newswire <http://www.eduventures.com/news/latest_headlines.cfm>
at http://www.eduventures.com/news/latest_headlines.cfm.

M&A / FINANCING

[Pre-K-12]

Alacritude, LLC  Raises $3.1 Million in Series A Financing
http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/021227/cgf001_1.html

Sale of Houghton Mifflin Completed
http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/021231/312026_1.html

ProQuest Signs Definitive Agreement to Acquire Bigchalk
http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/021218/dew035_1.html

Courier Announces Sale of Courier Custom Publishing
http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/021217/172410_1.html

[Postsecondary]

Corinthian Colleges Completes Acquisition of Learning Tree University,
Inc.'s Assets
http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/030102/lath040_1.html

Career Education Closes Five-Year $200 Million Credit Facility
http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/021219/192451_1.html

Kaplan Higher Education Acquires RETS Technical Center
http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/021217/nytu085_1.html

[Corporate & Professional]

RoboGroup Expands its E-Learning Operations, and Acquires TrainNet Assets
from Mentergy
http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/021223/nym088_1.html

CDI Education Corporation Completes $5.5 Million Financing and Closes $12
Million Banking Agreement
http://biz.yahoo.com/cnw/021220/cdi_education_financg_1.html

Provant Announces the Sale of Businesses
http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/021215/152010_1.html

EARNINGS & OTHER FINANCIAL NEWS

[Pre-K-12]

Edison Schools Reports Significant Improvement in Year-End Cash Position
http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/030103/nyf057_1.html

[Postsecondary]

Virtual Academics to Change Name to Cenuco
http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/030102/flth002_1.html

PARTNERSHIPS

[Postsecondary]

ELearning Dynamics and Wake Forest University Announce Classroom Technology
Partnership
http://www.elearningdynamics.com/

[Corporate & Professional]

Plateau Systems and DigitalThink Partner to Provide E-Learning Solution
http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/021219/sfth004_1.html

NEW PRODUCTS & SERVICES

[Postsecondary]

Aplia Expands Product Line, Broadens Role as New-Generation Educational
Publishing Company
http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/030103/sff012_1.html

[Corporate & Professional]

ATG Powers Harvard Business School Publishing with Online Initiatives
http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/021216/162091_1.html

CONTRACTS & CUSTOMER WINS

[Pre-K-12]

The Princeton Review and the School District of Philadelphia Partner to
Improve Student Achievement
http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/021223/nym014_1.html

ETeacher Wins Israel's Ministry of Foreign Affairs Tender to Operate a
Virtual School in Over 60 Countries Worldwide
http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/021219/lnth011_1.html

[Corporate & Professional]

THINQ LMS Supports Business Transformation at the United States Postal
Service
http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/021218/182058_1.html

Perrigo Selects Plateau Systems to Manage Worldwide Learning, Enable FDA
Compliance
http://www.plateau.com

POLICY & RESEARCH

[Pre-K-12]

New Federal School Plan Flawed, Report Says
http://www.stateline.org/story.do?storyId=279526

More Schools Rely on Tests, But Study Raises Doubts
http://www.nytimes.com/2002/12/28/education/28EXAM.html

SRI Study Indicates Usefulness of Handheld Computers for Scientific
Inquiry-Based Learning
http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/021217/sftu035_1.html

[Postsecondary]

Bush Administration's Proposals for Higher Education Act Include
Performance-Based Grants
http://chronicle.com/daily/2002/12/2002122001n.htm

College Groups Challenge Copyright Office on Exceptions to Digital-Copyright
Law
http://chronicle.com/free/2002/12/2002122001t.htm

MARKET TRENDS

[Pre-K-12]

Big Teacher Gap Now Filling In
http://www.christiansciencemonitor.com/2002/1226/p01s01-ussc.html

[Postsecondary]

Another Bleak Budget Year for Higher Education
http://chronicle.com/weekly/v49/i17/17a02101.htm

New Baby Boom Swamps Colleges
http://www.usatoday.com/usatonline/20030102/4746299s.htm

[Corporate & Professional]

Costs Negate E-Learning ROI
http://www.computerworld.com/managementtopics/roi/story/0,10801,77008,00.htm

Moving Beyond the Classroom with Executive Education
http://hbsworkingknowledge.hbs.edu/pubitem.jhtml?id=3217&sid=0&pid=0&t=innov
ation