From: "mcandreb" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Sunday, January 05, 2003 2:53 PM
Subject: [Futurework] FWD:Sophistry or Sensitive Science?" An Interview with
Martha Herbert

This interview comes from "The Wild Duck Review:
http://www.wildduckreview.com/interviews/herbert.html

------------
Sophistry or Sensitive Science?" An Interview with Martha Herbert
[snip]

     I think that we are witnessing change in the neurological wiring
of this generation of children
No I have not read the whole article.

But I would like to put this assertion in perspective.  The
neurological wiring of every generation of children is changed.
As for the generation which was going to be home by Xmas in
1914, I think a certain story of Freud's tells much
about their wiring:

It was Freud's birthday.  To celebrate the occasion, Freud's
brother bought some cherries which were out of season to give to
Sigmund.  But the best part of the gift was that Freud's
20-some month old nephew was to deliver the bowl of cherries
to his uncle WITHOUT EATING A SINGLE ONE (even though, of
course, the cherries represented a great attraction to the
child to disobey the rules of this sadistic little game).  The child
performed perfectly; Uncle Sigmund enjoyed his birthday
present immensely; everyone was proud of the little nephew's
proper and polite behavior.  The child did not get any
cherries.  Some of these children ended up on Freud's couch, and
many more in the trenches on the Western Front.

I'm not saying the way we are wiring young persons'
today with computers and television is good.  But if
it's bad, it's just substituting a new bad for an old bad,
not the loss of the Good.

   The golden age is not in the past, but, if anywhere, in the future.
   Our homeland is, as Ernest Bloch urged, ahead of us, and none
   of us have ever been there or know what it is.

\brad mccormick

--
  Let your light so shine before men,
              that they may see your good works.... (Matt 5:16)

  Prove all things; hold fast that which is good. (1 Thes 5:21)

<![%THINK;[SGML+APL]]> Brad McCormick, Ed.D. / [EMAIL PROTECTED]