I just heard a wonderful concert with the Ying Quartet last night.    They did an evening of Ned Rorem.   They are a world class ensemble and they are three brothers and a sister.    All are Chinese Americans from Chicago.   What an unusual situation to see a family working together to make a great product that brings credit, power and prosperity to their family.   Although the stereotype of the Chinese is that they are very good with cooperation and money, this group is beyond any stereotype.   They show what can really be done when people have the time and motivation to really work entrepreneurally together.    The Americans and English used to do that in the Victorian era before we got this hyper-individuality and me centered approach to everything.   Their URL is  http://www.yingquartet.com.

I went with the Broadway Conductor Stan Tucker who will be conducting one of our concerts.    I had gone to see the movie Chicago the night before.   It was surprising how much more sensual this was than that obviously sexual movie.   I kept thinking how I liked both actresses as people but that the work was so over-produced and over-technological not to mention "forced" that it almost failed.    How different to see four musicians with no extra help to clean up the pimples simply have no pimples because of their quality.    No wonder the rich want this one of a kind product for their own.   It is like anything that is a classic but unfortunately cannot be understood or even appreciated if the complexity in your own head is too dense.   They want to simplify the world but what should be done is to simplify their mind through competence.    I have often refused to go to New York performances except for friends simply because they cannot afford to properly prepare them.   Two rehearsals on a great concerto or three days on an opera is nonsense.    And the chamber music at our venerable culture palace also suffers from a lack of time although not a lack of great talent and potential.   I compare this concert of four young people with other concerts that I saw last year that were dry, dull and proficient and which cost three times the amount of this ticket on the Upper West Side.    Is it the Vase or the Water Harry?

The Rorem pieces were wonderful but what was unusual was the kind of commitment that made little masterpieces truly come alive in great performance.    We rarely get that in American Complex Music (classical) these days.   No one has the time to practice with two and three jobs and most are unwilling to build a product together.    Everyone wants to be a star and make the "big bucks."

The evening of Rorem and Ravel is a world that today's children will not likely ever know.   It was complicated but the little theater on the Upper West Side was sold out with people of all ages but mostly the elderly liberal audience.    The one that the conservatives blame for the demise of Western Classical Music.   The conservatives were there but they were musicians "on the make" shaking hands and trying to network.   The smell was too much.  I had to leave.   Will talk to Ned today.    I brought materials from the Festival for him but took them home.   I saw pieces of myself in those "movers and shakers" that destroyed the power of the evening.   The inability to just participate in great art.   To release the mind and be with a community for an hour or so in time without polluting the experience with the need to "work the crowd."

It is also amazing how "sexy" a great performance can be if you know how to listen.    If you get a chance to see this group, don't miss them.

Ray Evans Harrell