Looking Ahead:  Inevitably, we have to recognize that some of us will never agree about how we got to this point, and eventually we should come to the conclusion to focus our energy and talents on how to make something good come of this, not just repair the damage.  War is transforming to Presidents and the public alike: returning to what was before is now impossible.  We have turned a corner.

Like many of you, I am angry and heart sick and worried.  We are in a crossfire of words, but not bombs.  Since we are not literally bombarded, we should be discussing what it is we can do to bring opposing sides together, to avoid not just the years of dissension and distrust that happened after Vietnam, but to prevent disasters at home where terrorism is making its mark without bombs.

I am not promising that I have shed my anger, cynicism or distrust.  The image of cremated and decapitated children and innocent adults will once again be an American political-military legacy, as it was in Vietnam (and suppressed in Hiroshima) muddying the image we have sought to uphold of more glorious dreams.  There will be further questionable and suspicious moments as we proceed, and new Deep Throats and painful moments of truth for the carelessly arrogant.  But I am going to try to overcome my anger and distrust because how we recover from this god-awful course of events depends on it.  For the past fifty years, American culture and history have marched forward to this moment in time.  Our true character is being tested once again: we must adhere to our best values, the best of our traditions, and walk away from the destructive ones.

The first step, it seems, is to recognize the ambivalence among the sharply divided.  Hopefully, we proceed reflectively from there to interpreting what all this means and what decisions to make in the near and long term.

My apologies to those on this list who either by international worldviews and/or real world experiences seem to be ignored in these remarks and the dominance of the American perspective of the war with Iraq.  This is just the ground upon which I can scan the horizon and either march vigorously or hike cautiously forward.  Below are some reflective moments from a couple of thoughtful writers.

BRAVO to this former Oregonian, raised in the tiny community of Yamhill:

Hearts and Minds By Nicholas D. Kristof, NYT, March 28, 2003 @ http://www.nytimes.com/2003/03/28/opinion/28KRIS.html

KUWAIT — With Americans and Iraqis killing each other just north of here and many of my friends at risk, I've been pained by some e-mail that has trickled over my laptop computer.  Some of it came from an old Egyptian friend, Ikram Youssef, a Harvard-educated scholar who has a natural empathy for the United States — and since he once lived in Kuwait, a rich understanding that Saddam Hussein is a monster. Yet Professor Youssef hopes that this war will end with an Iraqi victory over America.

"I certainly hope that this campaign will fail," he declared. And when even a thoughtful internationalist like Professor Youssef is siding with Saddam's army against America, I want to leap out of my hotel window.

The war that the rest of the world sees is different from the one Americans are viewing. The Pakistani newspaper Awami Awaz exults that "Iraqi leadership has humiliated the Americans." The Egyptian newspaper Al Wafd titles an editorial "The U.S. Empire of Evil." Muslim figures who sided with the U.S. after 9/11 and denounced Osama bin Laden are now urging "jihad" against Americans.

Within the U.S. as well, the war has been destructive, further pulverizing the civility of discourse. Each side assumes the other is not just imbecilic but also immoral, when in truth I believe that each side is genuinely high-minded: one is driven by horror of war and the other by horror of Saddam. Neither deserves the sneers of the other. I'm also dispirited today because in some e-mail from fellow doves I detect hints of satisfaction that the U.S. is running into trouble in Iraq — as if hawks should be taught a lesson about the real world with the blood of young Americans.

We doves simply have to let go of the dispute about getting into this war. It's now a historical question, and the relevant issue, for hawks and doves alike, is how we get out of this war (and how we avoid the next pre-emptive war). Americans should be able to find common ground, for all sides dream of an Iraq that is democratic and an America that is again admired around the world. Creating a postwar Iraq that is free and flourishing is also the one way to recoup the damage this war has already done to America's image and interests.

Unfortunately, the president's budget request this week showed little commitment to postwar Iraq. He asked for $62.6 billion for the war and just $2.45 billion for short-term relief and reconstruction, without addressing longer-term needs. Moreover, while the U.S. has been very careful until now to avoid civilian casualties, that emphasis is showing signs of slipping as the war gets tougher.

My intrepid Times colleagues Dexter Filkins and Michael Wilson are with U.S. marines who were in a firefight in which Iraqi fighters hid among women and children.  After 10 Americans had been killed, the marines became less meticulous about avoiding civilian casualties.  "It's not pretty; it's not surgical," Chief Warrant Officer Pat Woellhof told them. "You try to limit collateral damage, but they want to fight. Now it's just smash-mouth football."

American military officers now say that the policy is to strike Iraqi military targets, if necessary, even when Saddam implants them among schools and apartment blocks, and that the responsibility for the resulting casualties lies with Saddam.  Such strikes are understandably tempting now, but they will inflame Iraqi nationalism and make postwar Iraq incomparably more difficult to govern.  One of the most depressing windows into this surging nationalism occurred on Wednesday when aid workers handed out food to throngs of hungry Iraqis in a coalition-controlled town called Safwan.  Some Iraqis simultaneously jostled for food and chanted, "With our blood, we sacrifice ourselves for you, Saddam."

The inspiration for our military strategy in Iraq comes from the late Sir Basil Liddell Hart, the great British military expert who urged the approach the U.S. later adopted in its island-hopping advance on Japan in World War II.  Washington adopted a similar strategy to move on Baghdad.  But as we implement Sir Basil's strategy, let's also adhere to one of his cardinal points about the need to focus on what comes after the war.  Since we're dropping fliers all over Iraq, we might also release leaflets over Washington inscribed with this saying by Sir Basil: "It is essential to conduct war with constant regard to the peace you desire."

And from a local girl who returned home after 9/11:

American malaise: the pain of ambivalence over Iraq

By Gabrielle Glaser, in The Oregonian, March 28, 2003

For the first time in my life, I'm in a strange position: I can see almost everyone's point.  As I talk with friends, sift through papers and switch channels, I find myself agreeing with whoever seems to have a cogent argument. I'm shocked to admit this, but the gamut runs from Michael Moore to William Safire.

At any given moment, I share outrage over "fictitious election results"; what Halliburton, Dick Cheney's former employer, stands to gain in postwar Iraq; shady contracts a French chemical company made with Baghdad; the abandonment of the Kurds.  Sometimes, my thoughts feel like one big dream sequence.  As a writer, I'm accustomed to words shaping my ideas. But these days, I'm swayed by images -- from the past, snippets from friends, eerie desert sandstorms.

Perhaps Rabbi Gary Schoenberg, co-founder of Gesher, a Jewish outreach organization in Portland, summed up my dismay about the bizarre juxtaposition of combat and a gentle Oregon spring: "We've made war a soap opera and check in regularly to see if our lives have changed."

The other morning, I opened the paper to see a stunning photograph of the USS Kitty Hawk. The sea was glinting in the sun, and aircraft were lined up like the Rockettes. This, I thought, along with the administration's $74 billion request for war spending, is the reason so many Americans don't have health insurance.

I called Lynda Holt, the closest person I have to an aunt, for her point of view. Her late father, Wallace Larson, served in five battles in World War II and was decorated by Gen. George S. Patton himself. Larson hated the attention he got for his heroism. The truth was, he had killed in combat, and it haunted him.

Even so, I expected Holt to have a certain opinion. She surprised me. "We know Saddam kills his own people," she said. "I am taking a leap, but I think our economy is killing people here."  Holt, of Albany, volunteers at a service organization for the elderly and regularly sees seniors struggling to make ends meet.  One woman in her 70s, widowed at a young age, worked for decades to support her family. Now, she sits in a darkened mobile home to keep her electric bill down and stopped taking drugs that cost her $250 a month. Next, she told Holt, she'll cut back on food.

"How can we have a dynamic impact on the suffering of others when so many are suffering here? How can we talk about 'democracy' when democracy is failing our own?"

I also called Eric Khoury, a friend and psychiatrist who recently moved from Portland to Napa, Calif. Khoury is also angry about politics. "We are dealing with forces bigger than ourselves," he said. "On the news, you see what looks like an infomercial for the military industrial complex. An embedded journalist sits in front of an enormous bomb saying, 'This has the power to obliterate everything and everyone in the region!' It doesn't exactly inspire confidence in the future of the human race."

After attending a recent peace march, Khoury discussed the war with his young son, Alexander. The boy has been taught to "use his words" to resolve conflict and was perplexed by the notion that adults were not. Alexander wanted to convey his fears about people getting hurt, so the next day, father and son drew posters. Alexander's says: "No War!" Khoury drew a peace sign.  "That experience brought me down to a kind of psychological ground zero," Khoury said. "I felt as if I was making a difference by helping to raise a socially conscious child."

That notion makes me sympathetic to demonstrators (although not ones who drive SUVs). Is this really about liberating Iraq? Will the country's oil wells, post-Saddam, really be "the property of the Iraqi people," as President Bush claims? (Using that argument, are the oil wells of Midland, Texas, the property of the American people?)

And then there is Rachael Atterbery, a friend from Roseburg whose husband, Mike, is on a nuclear submarine -- where, she can't say. Her stoicism inspires both guilt and admiration.  "I understand that they don't want violence," she said of the marchers. "But I'm going to support the people who've put their lives on the line. I don't want to live in a country where people are paid to protest, or not protest -- whatever their dictator decides they ought to be doing that day.  "Terrorism is real," she said, "It doesn't just happen in other countries anymore."

And so it is that I agree with her, too. We know Saddam is not benign: He sends $25,000 to the families of Palestinian suicide bombers. His regime flouts the Geneva Convention, hasn't cooperated with the United Nations and gassed as many as 5,000 Kurds in the town of Halabja in 1988. I'm not convinced about his links to al-Qaida, but it's possible to imagine Iraqis selling their biological and chemical weapons to any one of the many who hate us -- if it hasn't been done already.

I have my own reminders of that danger. For the past six years, I lived in a small town outside New York; nine of its residents were killed on Sept. 11. I think about those dark weeks daily, and e-mails from a grief-stricken friend make it numbingly real despite a recent move back to Oregon.  During the anthrax scare, my husband inhaled powder enclosed in a letter mailed to a colleague. The New York City Health Department issued him a two-week supply of Cipro. (The letter was later ruled a hoax.) A few pills remain in the amber bottle, a frightening memento in our medicine cabinet.

When I was growing up on a farm in the Willamette Valley, danger was always far; Vietnam, farther. One day, though, the world arrived in a form I recognized. The image of Kim Phuc, the girl who ran screaming from fire and napalm, seared into my consciousness. It was 1972; she was 9, I was 8.  Despite her agony, Phuc triumphed; in 1997, she was named a goodwill ambassador at the United Nations.

But only the most resolute can overcome the anger ordinarily resulting from such atrocity. How will children charred by coalition bombs (and their humiliated parents) not end up loathing us, "free Iraq" or no?

My friend, the Sept. 11 widow, is perhaps too tired to feel rage. In a recent dispatch, she struggled with the dull reality of life without her husband. Her three kids need shuttling between school, sports events and grief counseling (something other war orphans lack).  Maybe it is her concern for her children's future that touches most profoundly on my uneasiness. Because from it, who can't draw larger questions?  "Will they be OK?" she wrote. "I just want someone to tell me they will be."

http://www.oregonlive.com/commentary/oregonian/index.ssf?/base/editorial/1048856167250440.xml

Outgoing mail scanned by NAV 2002