The Gaia Hypothesis does not imply any purposefulness, and only implies some
dynamic directionality if you track those variables that are showing trends.

One should note there is as Lovelock and Margolis presented it and it was
absorbed by the biological community, the implication that the Earth is a
closed system, one with a myriad interacting sub-systems. But in fact the
Earth is not a closed system: the sun, the moon and some of the other
planets, asteroids and comets all have evident physical impacts on Earth
processes.  And then there is starlight...

Cheers,
Lawry