Sent: Wednesday, May 28, 2003 2:16 AM
Subject: [Futurework] We are young chimps (was: Friendliness is genetic.)

At 21:25 27/05/2003 -0400, Brad McCormick wrote:
Ray Evans Harrell wrote:
Maybe there is a problem with homo economicus?
[snip]

Perhaps some will be interested to hear that, on a
different list, I have been following a thread which
argues that we and chimpanzees are essentially equivalent
(our genes are 99.44% the same -- good enough for
Ivory soap...).

It's a matter of judgement as to what are the crucial genes and what are not (when making comparisons between the species) but it's certainly true that all geneticists believe that the chimps and our genes are anything between 98% and 99.5% identical. Given that we have about 35,000 genes, then the number of unique genes that we possess is about 300 plus or minus about 100. That's more than enough to make us very different from chimpanzees in many ways.

So, if you do not know already, be hereby apprised that
there are PhDs out there who are asserting that
"chimps R us", and that chimps should have equal rights
to humans, etc./et al.

I don't even believe that all humans should have equal rights. Do you? I believe that all humans should have equal rights in some basic respects, but I don't believe that, for example, an unintelligent person should have an equal vote as me on complex matters such as nuclear power, were there to be a one-issue election, for example. I even read a letter in the Independent some days ago apparently  from a Down's Syndrome girl who said that because she gave her mother so much pleasure then Down's Syndrome foetuses should be allowed to live and not be aborted.

Economists have paltry imaginations: they are only able
to reduce homo sapiens to homo economicus.  "Real scientists"
are able to reduce homo sapiens to homo chimpiens!

Why are you so upset about this? Besides the fact that our genes (and brains) are almost identical to chimps' it is obvious that, in appearance and in practice, we are very different. I notice that from elsewhere you don't like Medieval notions. But, in trying to maintain that man is a unique species -- in the sense that we are quite separate from all others in some sort of fundamental way -- is very much an anthropocentric, Medieval notion. Why aren't you consistent? We are certainly different from other species in many ways but we are still the product of evolution as all other species are.

As John F Kennedy did not say in Berlin when he made the
mikstake of confusing Berliners with "Berliners" (pastries):

    Ich nich bin ein chimp!

Here are two facts for you to consider:

1. We are born 17 months' premature. If we were born so that we were as physically capable as chimps at birth then our brains would be too large to emerge through the pelvic girdle of the mother. So we're born prematurely while our brains are small enough to get through safely. Our brains develop hugely in the months immediately after birth before slowing down relative to the rest of our bodies.

2. The profile of a baby chimps' face is almost the same as the profile of an adult human.

To biologists this phenomenon is unusual but far from unknown in several cases. It is called Neotony. It occurs when one species gives rise to a juvenile version of itself. We appear to be a neotonous version, not of chimps, but of the species that was the predecessor of both chimps and ourselves. (Therefore, don't take the Subject title of this message too seriously.)

Keith Hudson

Keith Hudson, 6 Upper Camden Place, Bath, England