On Thu, 29 May 2003 17:54:22 -0700 Harry Pollard <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> Brad,
>
> As I said earlier, women seem to like SUV's because they feel safer in  them, something born out by the statistics.
Henry, it is a bit confusing but you are basically right. Look below the graphic.

The article reported that the passenger of a car is 4 times more likely to die compared to that of an SUV during an accident involving the two.  The article also reported that if a car were hit on the side, the likelihood of death became 27 times greater for the passenger of the car compared to the SUV.

The main reason for the cause in the increase of the death rate during accidents involving cars and SUVs is because of the design of the car.  The issue of the New York Times reported that a car is designed to meet that standards of being able to withstand a collision with a similarly shaped vehicle within 500 pounds of its own weight.  SUVs, though, tend to weigh at least 1000 pounds more than the average car. www.arches.uga.edu/~surbizo/Suv%2520rollover.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.arches.uga.edu/~surbizo/deathrate.html&h=394&w=556&prev=/images%3Fq%3DSUV%2Baccidents%26svnum%3D10%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D%26ie%3DUTF-8%26oe%3DUTF-8%26sa%3DG

Bill