To the list:

I love this little potential Laingian Knot, (or it could be a Batesonian Double Bind)  that Brad tied on his web site at http://www.users.cloud9.net/~bradmcc/JustSoStories.html#Bush

Either way it shows you just how creepy capitalism is and how they are all really witches that are required to warn you before they trick you or the witchery will "come round" on them instead.     Even my daughter "got it" when she was six.    She watched them tear up a part of the earth for private gain and asked.   "Dad how are they going to get away with that?"    Well, Brad can tell you.

SAT question: "Dad how are they going to get away with doing that?"   Multiple choice:  1.  Because all of the rest of us are too dumb to notice.    2.  Their explanation becomes the solution   3. Both of the above   4. We want to shop in the mall they are building  5.  The same reason all of the liberals who knew Sam Lipman protested my writing about him although they agreed with my premise.

You figure it.   REH

 How the Public Utilities became public again

After the government sold all the Public Utilities to private investment groups at bargain basement prices, the new owners invested nothing in their new acquisitions, but milked them for all they could get out of them. Service became unreliable at best, and consumers demanded a change. So the private investors sold the Utilities back to the government at book value, thus making another killing; the Utilities once again, back under government stewardship, returned to providing reliable service; and everybody lived happily ever after -- Except that the consumers had to pay much higher taxes and utility rates than before, to service the public debt on the bonds the government had sold to private investors [usually the same ones who had bought the Utilities in the first place...] to buy the Utilities back and repair the damage to them.

I hope I didn't offend Brad or his copyright by pasting this but I liked it so I did it.   So sue me Brad!    But there is lots of "neat stuff on the web site" that you can plagerize as well, if you don't believe in copyrights.

All of the rest of us will just do ten "i'm sorries" and get over it.

"i'm sorry"  ten times.

REH