Keith Hudson wrote:
> In the whole of my life I have never heard such brutal
> language spoken of a sitting Prime Minister in this
> country, no matter how detested....
> Surely, Americans are not less
> perspicacious and I can only think that the realisation of
> having been deceived cannot be long delayed).
>
> (Incidentally, when David Dimbleby held a straw poll of
> the studio audience [generally older middle-class people]
> as to whether WMD really meant Words of Mass Deception it
> was 'overwhelmingly' agreed.)

I can't imagine that happening in any studio in the USA.
People over here certainly seem cowed to me. There is much
deference toward and very little *public* criticism of Bush
that I'm aware of. When I opined on another list that what
happens to Blair will necessarily have some effect on Bush's
standing, I was told:

> But Paul Krugman reminded us in his op-ed piece in the NYT on Waggy Dog
> Stories: ... Waging a war on false
> premises worked. He's largely silenced dissent, and with anyone who's dared to
> question or criticize him, he questions their patriotism. He's a vicious competitor.
> And Democrats have been afraid of him.
>
> ... As long as Bush stays as popular as he has -- with
> 75% of the people thinking he's shown strong leadership  and 41% of the
> people thinking we've found WMD -- he'll get whatever he wants. GOP members from
> both chambers don't have the stomach to stand up against him. Dems are in the
> minority and don't count -- even if they become more forceful.

I guess we shall know pretty soon.

Stephen Straker

<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Vancouver, B.C.
[Outgoing mail scanned by Norton AntiVirus]