As for central government superiority so was George Washington.    Check out
his response to the Whiskey Rebellion.   There is a balance here Keith.
Vermont and New Hampshire are societies where the rich folks from out of
state play while alcoholism is high as is incest in the out of city local
populations.    They are fiercely independent and when anthropologist Dr.
Rayna Green of the Smithsonian Institution was head of the Native Studies
program at Dartmouth she did a study of the backwoods, small-town folks and
found that it most resembled Indian reservation problems as anywhere in
white society in the country.    Even though they have jobs and are more
prosperous, the long winters, the lack of outside connections and
stimulation and the cabin fever lends itself to drinking and the sex that is
at hand.   That includes abuse.   As a result the families suffer from the
"royal syndrome" of Europe with birth defects and a lack of trust of anyone
who is not directly related.

  I applaud your looking into alternatives and the idea for your web site.
I also applaud your looking into other than the non-sustainable "hard" work
patterns that you have concentrated on in the past.   There is more to work
than science and industry.   A great deal of the country of Italy is
sustained by cultural activities and has been so for a couple of five
hundred years.    But it requires that the population be educated
culturally.    Even the tailors in Bologna know more about opera than the
world's greatest critics or so I was told by the son of the former CEO of
IBM world.   The son is a fine opera singer himself and a former student of
mine.

Ray Evans Harrell