Keith Hudson summarized:
> If man is going to survive then we are going to have to modify our genes in
> a major way. If we want to continue to live in world with interesting
> wild-life around us then we are going to have to re-engineer the genes of
> mammals, too. The fact of the matter is that the mammalian line is a
> dead-end for the most part  because the Y-chromosome is deteriorating at a
> steady rate. This is the substance of an article in yesterday's Sunday
> Times, an edited abstract of a forthcoming book, "Adam's Curse"

That's pure PR of the genetic tinkering industry.  Instead of spending
any thought on the _causes_ of genetic defects and how to prevent them
(which would lead to their own liability for pollution), the chemical/GM
industry is busy peddling band-aid patch "solutions" for the problems
caused by themselves.  All to maximize profits, of course.  The title
"Adam's Curse" refers to Adam Smith, shouldn't it?  ;-}

Btw, I'd be interested in the names of the "many species before us that
have lost their males" (and were extinct by this), as the article claims.
Sounds like made up for the highly questionable thesis of that article.

Chris