From: Christoph Reuss [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Friday, August 22, 2003 4:01 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]; Michael Gurstein
Subject: Re: [Futurework] Responding to a Very Real Security Threat

Michael Gurstein asked:
> And if the security of one third of the US population and probably the

> same proportion of the Canadian population have been severely
> compromised by the action (or inaction) of the software supplier what
> does this suggest as an appropriate policy/national security response
> to the ever greater dependence of the world on a single software
> supplier?

Quite simple:  The solution is to not use M$ wormware in
mission-critical applications (like powerplants, sewage plants, train
control systems etc.). For anyone with a modicum of IT knowledge, this
had been obvious for a long time already.  Trouble is that the reason is
not really lack of knowledge, but rather vested interests and profit
maximization, as in the power outage crisis (insufficient capacity of
powerlines) too. That's why this kind of stuff is happening in NAm (most
"advanced" in Enronitis).

The problem is not only "dependence on a single software supplier", but
mainly that this particular software supplier's software is
worm/virus-prone *by design*.  Cynically it can be said that this is not
by accident but due to the fact that M$ software *itself* is designed to
snoop around on --and manipulate-- users' machines (see the famous
"Diskeeper"/Scientology affair, for example). Hence, crackers (and even
relatively unable script-kiddies) can easily exploit the inherently
"snoopy/virusy" architecture of M$ software (both OS and apps).

In other words:  Even if there would be a global monoculture of an Open
Source system, the virus/worm problems would be MUCH less than with a M$
monoculture -- because an Open Source system does not have this design
flaw ("snoopy/virusy" architecture), and the remaining few possible
virus exploits can be rooted out (in advance!) by public scrutiny,
instead of blindly depending on the high priests of Redmond.

Anyway, Open Source discourages monoculture by adhering to open
standards, unlike M$ which is famous for non-adherence to  and even
mutilation of standards (in order to force everyone to use M$
proprietary stuff).

Bill Ward wrote:
> I use only Microsoft platforms and always disable Microsoft Outlook
> and the Microsoft address book although I realize that this does not
solve
> all problems.                                      ^^^^^^^^^^===^^^^^^

...especially not the W32.Blaster worm, which works directly in the OS
and doesn't need Outlook nor the address book, nor any other email app.

Chris