Keith,

Arabic does not have written vowels. They do put a short lower left to upper right slash that is the 'i', something like a comma that is the 'u' sound, and a hyphen that is the 'a' [the latter two marks are above the letters while the former is below for school children and probably muezzins [my son used to sit in from the of the TV and could do the call to prayer perfectly. He wanted to be a muezzin when he group up but was broken hearted when he found that most mosques were moving to taped calls].

Actually, I just attached a list of the characters to this email and had forgotten that stand alone letters differ slightly from the beginning, middle, and ending so there are often 4 variations [ I don't think most typewriters can do the stand alone characters. Trying to type in Arabic, even for Arabs, is a challenge. On typewriters there is an upshift and downshift key to get the initial and terminal forms.

A Lebanese physician did develop a printing alphabet that resulted in a single figure for each letter but it hasn't caught on in some 30 years. I believe it has to do with the feeling that it was moving the language of the Qur'an away from its roots.

Also, in a different post, re:

        Chinese - It has lost all the appendages that other languages still have -- conjugations,
        declensions, irregular verbs, subjunctives, ablatives, and so on -- nightmares that
        plagues learners of most other languages.

to make Hebrew masterable by European Jews coming to Israel, a lot of the complex grammar was simplified as in Chinese above. This is the Hebrew which is taught in Ulpans. Palestinian staff of mine
picked it up in a snap since Hebrew and Arabic are so similar.

Bill