Quoting Karen Watters Cole <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

> Newsweek asks the question, Are we done with the 40 Hour Week?
> http://www.msnbc.com/news/949259.asp?0cv=CB20
> <http://www.msnbc.com/news/949259.asp?0cv=CB20>

Rings true to me!

The patron saint of Everyman will never
be canonized:

    Erving of Goffman

[snip]
> In other words, not everyone is working more, just those who already
> were.

It's like traffic jams and airport takeoff and
landing delays.  I would not object to
my plane being delayed the average 5 minutes.  It's
the *specific* 2 hours that's painful.

> Yet the composition of those would-be workaholics has changed. Many
> blue-collar jobs have morphed into the white-collar world, particularly
> in
> the information economy. For those folks, and their bosses, office
> walls
> often don’t hem in the job. High-tech tethers to the workplace —
> pagers,
> e-mail, take-home laptops — extend work weeks. It’s no longer enough to
> just
> tally up your hours at the office. Many employers now assume work can
> be
> done anytime, anyplace.”
>
> and JUST IN TIME for Labor Day, this teaser;
> Coming Soon
> Aug 26 Tethered by a high tech leash
> Aug 27 Overworked and suing
> Aug 28 The dark side of productivity
> Aug 29 Laid back in Europe
> Sept 1  Burnout

  ??? Blowback

--
  Let your light so shine before men,
              that they may see your good works.... (Matt 5:16)

  Prove all things; hold fast that which is good. (1 Thes 5:21)

<![%THINK;[SGML+APL]]> Brad McCormick, Ed.D. / [EMAIL PROTECTED]