Ray,

In essence, Bill Bonner is spot on. However, it's not so much that Nixon cut the dollar away from gold. It's that he cut the dollar away from *anything* that's real and has value. There's nothing special about gold, except that it's a convenient, non-corrodable metal that can be stamped out prettily in various styles and sizes. The thing about gold it that it is *real* and that over thousands of years in every civilisation it has acquired great value. When Nixon cut the dollar away from gold, he cut money away from reality. It means that central banks can now print just as much money as they wish to suit the profligacy of governments. Particularly when they start massive expenditures on wars.

Which is what the Fed will be doing before a year or two is out in order to prevent deflation. And then it will be galloping inflation again and hang to any sort of sensible interest rates for at least another two or three decades until some new Friedman or Hayek comes along and brings central banks to their senses again. Probably after one or two seriously bankruptive wars have intervened and many countries are gasping for air (as after WWII).

KSH