Ed,

Gawd, don't ask me. I haven't been following this cabbages/gold discussion I'm afraid.

I just think from lofty principles. Currencies always used to be goods of intrinsic value. I just scratch my head and wonder why, after 2,500 years of considering currency in this way, that we should suddenly ditch the whole matter and put up with bits of printed paper instead.

Keith