Sent: Sunday, August 24, 2003 8:58 PM
Subject: Farewell America [LONG]

Forwarded by Garry Margolis

Farewell America
After six years, The Observer's award-winning US
correspondent Ed Vulliamy takes his leave from a
wounded and belligerent nation with which,
reluctantly, he has now fallen out of love

Ed Vulliamy
Sunday August 24, 2003
The Observer, London

Once smitten, it should be impossible to fall out
of love with America. Who could fall out of love
with that New York adrenaline rush, or the
clutter of the 7 Train as it grinds on stilts of
iron from Manhattan out to Queens through the
scents and sounds of 160 first languages? Who
could fall out of love with the mighty desert
when a lilac dawn fades out the constellations in
its vast sky? Who could fall out of love with the
muscular industry of America's real capital,
Chicago, 'city of big shoulders', as the poet
Carl Sandburg described it? It was insurgent
Chicago that first captured my heart for America
as a visiting teenager in 1970.

Now it's time to leave the United States as a
supposed adult, having been a resident and
correspondent for exactly as long as Tony Blair
has been Prime Minister -- I was appointed that
May morning in 1997 that brought Britain's
Conservative night to an end. Blair's love for
America seems to have deepened since; but love is
both the strongest and most brittle of
sentiments, and mine has depreciated. I still
love that adrenaline rush, the desert light,
those big shoulders; but something else has
happened to America during my six years to invoke
that bitter love song by a great American, BB
King, 'The Thrill is Gone': 'And now that it's
all over / All I can do is wish you well...'

I arrived in an America regarded by the world as
'cool'. One can never be sure whether a President
defines the country or vice versa, but this was
Bill Clinton's America.

I'm not quite sure what 'cool' means in any
context beyond a vague positive, but the Clinton
administration turned even Washington into a
vaguely 'cool' place; one could spend a relaxed
evening listening to the Allman Brothers Band
with someone who had all day been advising the
President of the United States over takeout pizza
(George Stephanopoulos, who, admittedly, left the
administration, disillusioned).

Meanwhile out in the world, intervention by the
US was either welcomed by the persecuted of Haiti
and Kosovo or else craved by (but culpably
denied) those in Bosnia and Rwanda -- as a force
of deliverance, not of empire. Clinton's declared
quest did not always aim to embrace only the
Americans. Terrorists then were spawned by the
homegrown Right; proud to murder hundreds of
their own countrymen, women and children with the
Oklahoma bomb of April 1995, a bloodbath I
covered during a brief American sojourn exploring
the armed 'patriot' network in which Timothy
McVeigh -- by no means a lone wolf -- operated.
Strange now to recall that stench of charred
masonry, the floodlit wreckage, the rescue
workers spluttering dust, the tearful, wandering
bereaved displaying pictures of their
'missing'... (scenes that would return to a
different America, from a different quarter, six
years later).

There was a deafening, bewildered silence that
prairie night in the Iguana diner on the edge of
Oklahoma, broken only by such musings as that of
a man asking: 'What is it people have got against
us, that they want to come killing our kids?' The
honest answer: a despised 'federal government'
headed by a man the Right -- even beyond
McVeigh's militias -- regarded as a usurper in
the White House.

During my first full year here there was a
lynching in east Texas: James Byrd, a black man,
was chained to the back of a truck by three
whites and dragged to his death, severed into 75
pieces. The subliminal connections were obvious:
Mississippi Burning; the smell of evil that hung
in the muggy air as thick as the sweet scent of
pine trees, as I ended those days with a drive, a
little dazed, listening to Emmylou Harris's
'Waltz Across Texas Tonight'. But Jasper, Texas,
was not a cliché. When the hooded Ku Klux Klan
paraded through town a few weeks later, most of
the crowd which faced them down was white. When
the murder trials began, sure enough: slat blinds
broke diagonal shafts of sunlight, and the fan
whirred around -- straight from the movie -- but
11 whites on the jury elected the single
African-American as foreman and sentenced a white
racist, Billy King, to death for killing a black
man. This in east Texas, the most racially
vicious slice of the Deep South; something was
afoot even in that corner of Bill Clinton's
America; not a result but maybe a beginning.

Then, of course, there was the man himself. Bill
Clinton loved it: I remember him in Arkansas,
working a rope line to the bitter end, greeting
stragglers long after the band had packed up and
gone. And Monica was not the only girl who went
weak at the knees. She just happened to be the
one who took his fancy -- and even that said
something about him. It is surreal to consider
the weeks I laboured over the political
implications of uses for a cigar, and that an
American President was subjected to a television
grilling about 'anal-oral contact'. The
right-wing opposition called him a liar; Hillary
Clinton blamed a 'vast right-wing conspiracy'.
They were both right.

There are perennial American themes that even
Good Time Bill could not paper over. Those which
cut a riptide beneath the most memorable places
in my working America were: poverty and race.
They define the nation's poorest county: Pine
Ridge, South Dakota, Badland of the Lakota Sioux,
where I marched for land rights under a banner of
Crazy Horse. Here, around the site of the Wounded
Knee massacre, sighs the wounded pride of a
people caught in a deep well of poverty, battling
alcoholism, domestic violence and unemployment at
65 per cent. And yet that pride burns again: the
young -- rebuking their parents' generation --
are returning to tribal history and ancient lore,
horsemanship and their language of old. Poverty
and race define the Mississippi Delta, where the
blues began, beneath the crossroads in Clarksdale
between highways 61 and 49 where the greatest of
bluesmen, Robert Johnson, sold his soul to the
Devil in exchange for his wizardry on the guitar.

Forty per cent in this land that politics forgot
live below the poverty line, drawn at $16,000 per
annum. Even here, where a late sun strokes the
billowing cotton, there is a healthy market in
crack cocaine. Pastor Benny Brown of Jonestown,
near Clarksdale, remarks: 'I don't really call
this a rural area; more a "reservation"; a black
poverty reservation.' 'Sometimes I wonder,'
pondered old Ruby Walker, sitting on her porch
surrounded by cats, soon after her daughter had
been killed in a shoot-out, 'if they ever did
really do away with slavery here.'

Poverty and race also define the country I call
'Amexica' that runs along either side of the
Mexican border, belonging to both countries and
neither. The conurbation comprising El Paso,
Texas, and Juárez, Mexico, is a microcosm of new
America; during my time here, Hispanics overtook
blacks as the biggest ethnic minority. Juárez is
a strong if blemished place, a harsh but
pulsating city which is and is not part of the
United States; its luminous colours are
unmistakably Mexico but most of its workforce
labours in US-owned sweatshop factories.

In ancient Mexican lore there lies behind the sun
that shines a black sun which leaves this world
to shed light upon another. The Aztecs believed
the black sun was carried by the god of the
underworld, and was the maleficent absolute of
death. And behind the sunlight of the 'Amexican'
desert there is some maculate black light which
gives nothing back; un-shining behind the music,
the bustle and hot peppers tumbling from every
open storefront. For in Juárez, the most depraved
crime in the Americas continues, unpunished: the
mass abduction, abuse, mutilation and murder of
some 345 young women to date, invariably
employees of the new American factories that pay
rock bottom wages but do nothing to protect them.
Here was a parable -- in a single narrative -- of
the scourges in our American-led global economy.
If there was a programme called 'Desert Island
Articles', and I was permitted to write only one
during my years in America, it would be that.

Strangely, it was an event with little bearing on
indigenous Anglo-Saxon America that brought out
the inimitable best, the essence, of New York:
the 2002 World Cup, when hard-working immigrant
America, of whatever generation or skin colour,
took over.

Every national team played at home in some cranny
of the city -- in home-language bars and cafes to
festoon with flags and weep or whoop. American
citizens wearing rival shirts -- Nigerian,
Ecuadorian, Russian, whatever -- would pass each
other on the street with a dichotomous glance and
smile of recognition that said, simultaneously:
'Hail, fellow' and 'Fuck off'.

The time difference was punishing; games
televised at 2.30am, 5.30am and 7.30am. Immigrant
New York, myself included, gave up sleep for a
month. Up to Harlem by night: the Cafe Africa in
'Little Senegal' around 116th Street, to watch
the Lions at 2.30. After their team qualified for
the quarter-final, the Senegalese danced and ran
across the tops of parked cars through a ghetto
dawn. Straight on, though, to Third Avenue for
England or Ireland, to Queens for Turkey or
Poland, and thence to grab a perch at the packed
Caffè l'Angolo in SoHo for the Azzuri against
Mexico, here a local derby. 'Ecco la vera
America' -- behold the real America -- said a
correspondent for La Gazetta dello Sport of
Milan, and he wasn't far wrong.

Most of America, however, shared the approach of
the White House, and its reply to Mexico's
President Vicente Fox after he invited President
Bush to a mutually convenient location on the
border to watch their respective countries play
each other, as a gesture of friendship. Fox was
informed by an aide that 'the President will be
asleep at that hour' (2.30 am). I, however, was
wide awake at the Cafe Margarita with Marco the
existentialist Mexican hairdresser, who
afterwards had to take three days off from
working on the heads of the rich and beautiful,
such was the pain of defeat at the hands of los
gringos. By contrast, I was obliged to change
immediately into a suit and -- fuelled by tequila
-- board a plane to Boston and address a
conference on war crimes. I was unable to find
anyone in the departure lounge or at the
conference who knew about their country's lusty
performance.

The gyre has turned three times in America since
the Monica scandal engulfed Clinton's presidency.
First, after November 2000, with that long
wrestle between George Bush and Al Gore; counts,
recounts and hanging chads. As even a Democrat
pollster remarked at the time, the moment James
Baker III arrived to handle Bush's side, the
result was a foregone conclusion. Baker -- lawyer
to the Texas oil industry for decades and former
Secretary of State to President Bush senior --
was one of The Firm.

It is incumbent upon journalists, I think, to
distrust conspiracy theories. But the problem
with the conspiracy theory of the machine that
lifted George 'Dubya' Bush to high office is that
it never lets you down; you wait for the trip
wire, but walk on. This is hardly the place to
recount my inspections of that mechanism but I
did spend many weeks listening in Texas and days
at the Securities and Exchange Commission sifting
through box files, to become acquainted with its
workings.

I wanted, just for instance, to find out which
company bought Dresser Industries, once the
world's biggest oil services company, of which
Prescott Bush (Dubya's grandfather) was director
and for which George Bush senior opened up the
West Texas oil basin. It was Halliburton, recent
beneficiary of a contract in Iraq, where Vice
President Dick Cheney made his fortune after
being Bush senior's Defence Secretary. And on it
goes. President Bush broke all records in the
history of campaign finance to get 'elected'. One
of his biggest donors was 'Kenny Boy' Lay, CEO of
the Enron Corporation, operator of one of the
biggest company frauds ever. And among Enron's
lavishly paid consultants was, inevitably, Ralph
Reed, former head of the right-wing Christian
Coalition, recommended to the board by Karl Rove,
the Svengali figure who managed all Bush's
campaigns in Texas, and is now the most powerful
man in the White House.

The entwinement of politics around the corporate
boardroom had been rehearsed during Bush's
governorship of Texas -- once a nation, and most
Texans would love it to be so again. But the
Union prohibits that. So: if Texas cannot be a
nation, make the nation into Texas.

For nearly a decade a group of people exiled from
power during the Clinton years had been making
plans. Their names are now more or less well
known: Cheney, Paul Wolfowitz, Richard Perle,
James Woolsey, Douglas Feith. In a series of
papers they devised a blueprint for unchallenged
and unchallengeable American power, military and
political, across the globe, with the Middle East
and Iraq as fulcrum. All that was needed to
realise that dream -- said a document produced by
one of their many think-tanks, the Project for
the New American Century -- was 'a new Pearl
Harbour'.

The second turning of the gyre came, literally,
out of the blue. Like a good reporter, I missed
the first of al-Qaeda's hijacked planes slamming
into the World Trade Centre. But we grabbed
coffee and ran down Sixth Avenue, against the
fearful flow of people in time to catch the North
Tower collapse into its own dust. I may owe my
life to the policeman who blocked our way as I
demanded to be let through his cordon,
brandishing my press card, just as the South
Tower tumbled in front of us.

No one could forget the vortex of shock, grief,
dignity and insanity that followed. My block
became a carpet of candles and flowers and New
York was wrapped in the American flag and the
stench of incinerating flesh. One could be
forgiven for not realising immediately that this
was America's moment of opportunity in the world.
As Le Monde's headline put it: 'Now, We Are All
Americans'; never before had America so many
friends across the planet -- or so we thought.
National Security Adviser Condoleezza Rice used
that same word, 'opportunity'. But opportunity
for what? The White House and Le Monde did not,
it turned out, share the same notion of what 'We
Are All Americans' meant. The other day the same
paper carried another headline about America:
'Seul contre tous' -- alone against everyone.
Well, almost everyone.

This is no time to recount the drive to war in
Iraq, the third turning of that gyre, except to
say that all the authors of the 'Project for the
New American Century' are now senior members of,
or close advisers to, the Bush administration.
And to add that as early as last October a former
senior analyst at the CIA, Mel Goodman -- in
close touch with his erstwhile colleagues -- was
telling me how the agency's assessment of Saddam
Hussein's weaponry was 'cranked up' by political
cadres within the administration.

I did not go to America to be a columnist or one
of those people Michael Frayn derides in a
hilarious essay asking 'What is a Man of
Opinion?' There are American voices which
describe my own reflections more capably than I
can, be it in words, pictures or music; some of
which I here invoke -- as valued friends, but,
more importantly, as voices that cannot be easily
ignored.

I had the honour and pleasure of befriending
Susan Sontag -- one of the world's greatest
writers -- in New York. 'People project a lot of
different things on to America,' she says, 'but
it is the consistencies that are most striking.
Look, Arnold Schwarzenegger may become the next
governor of California; does that mean the way of
life in California will change? Of course not.
But places get their tone and colour from
individuals. It would be a new era in the myth of
California, just as the transition from Clinton
to Bush was a new era in the myth of America.

'I think what we are seeing now, represented by
the policies of the Bush administration, is an
old American tradition, an imperialist tradition
that has existed since the middle of the
nineteenth century. But we are in for a busy
ride. Reality has a way of landing in your lap
and punching you in the nose. "Empire Lite" may
not work; and are the Americans really ready for
heavy Empire?'

I had the honour and pleasure of befriending
David Turnley -- one of the world's greatest
documentary photographers -- in New York. 'There
was this crucial period,' he says, 'after the
fall of the Berlin Wall, when America was no
longer centre stage; it moved to the sidelines
and developed this sense of detached superiority.
The era in which I grew up -- in which to be a
good American was to question everything America
did -- came to an end.

'And so we are left with an America which sees
the world as a football game: you win or lose. It
has lost all sense of nuance. And even though
Americans do not like foul play in football -- a
clip in the back from behind -- we are
encouraging it in the world. We have become a
nation with no idea what it means to grow up in a
refugee camp in the West Bank or Gaza, and no
idea why people such as al-Qaeda -- with whom I
have no agreement at all, I hasten to add --
dislike us so much.'

In New York I had the honour and pleasure of
befriending John Cale, who, with the Velvet
Underground and his prodigious output since then
has proved himself one of the world's greatest
rock musicians. Cale, like me, comes from Britain
(Wales); but unlike me will never return. However
he says: 'My love affair with the US, which began
with music, took a dive when I heard that Clear
Channel Communications [a vast network of local
radio stations owned by a close friend of
President Bush] had forced the Dixie Chicks to
withdraw their statement of criticism of the Bush
regime. And with the latest power outage, the
level of trust in the regime (never great?) has
also nosedived. Who knew that, of the three power
grids constituting the US system, one was solely
for Texas!

'The generosity of this once great country (of
which I am now a product) is being obscured by a
political fervour derived from something akin to
the parody of the Communist manifesto that was
around in the Sixties -- "What's yours is mine,
and what's mine's my own." I see a "dauphin" in
the White House while powerful figures range in
the background, making resource theft a way of
life... Meantime, I will stew in the poisonous
atmosphere Karl Rove slides under my door each
morning. I'll write a song or two, turn up the
volume and bury my dead.'

America was always a dichotomous, Janus nation --
born of a revolution by democratic visionaries
such as Tom Paine but built on genocide and
enslavement. Enriched by immigration but made
greedy by power and wealth. It was always a
question of which America was in the ascendancy
at a given time. I think that during Clinton's
presidency there were elements of that democratic
America to the fore. Or at least there were by
contrast to a country now redefining its role as
an international citizen, a country where
democratic rights, enshrined in the Constitution,
are eroded largely by consent.

I am not leaving the country in which I arrived.
The cafeteria in Congress changes 'French Fries
to 'Freedom Fries'. Students are urged to monitor
and report academics who oppose the occupation of
Iraq. An Egyptian-American friend had a visit
from the police after his seven-year-old son
refused to sign a letter from his school to
troops serving in Baghdad.

One's love for and faith in America, therefore,
would always be tested by counterpoint between
opposites -- as is that of the rest of the world.
The longest queues for visas are invariably in
those same countries where the American flag is
burned most frequently, often where the liberties
that America does afford are in short supply. But
it is not uncontroversial to posit that George
Bush's America is not regarded as 'cool'; that
it's not just me -- that the world's American
thrill has gone too.

There are many, invariably woolly, ways to
measure how America is perceived in the world:
one was the relative absence of anti-Americanism
on the planet's streets until the invasion of
Iraq. More instructive probably are the fortunes
of quintessentially American commercial brands on
the global market. Just this month, a survey by
the RoperASW consultancy found that for the first
time ever overseas sales by Nike, Microsoft and
McDonald's have fallen by 14, 18 and 21 per cent
respectively).

My faith -- if not the love affair -- was
resurrected just in time, during my last week, by
an American muse specialising in the uplift of
one's personal and political condition. This
resurgence took place not in the US but half a
mile from where I was born in the form of a
hurricane that blew through the Shepherd's Bush
Empire during the London heatwave: Hurricane
Patti -- aka Patti Smith. It was a ninth birthday
outing for my eldest daughter, Elsa. The storm
had blown for over two hours as Patti surged into
her anthem and invocation, 'The People Have the
Power', and then a recitation of America's
Declaration of Independence, that noble
affirmation of democratic principle, casting off
the yoke of Empire: 'We hold these truths to be
self-evident, that all men are created equal,
that they are endowed by their Creator with
certain inalienable Rights... When a long train
of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably
the same Object, evinces a design to reduce them
under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it
is their duty, to throw off such a government...'

Then the text started to do something curious;
Thomas Jefferson's indictment shifted from King
George III to a living namesake: 'The history of
the President of the United States is a history
of repeated injuries and usurpations...'

Afterwards, backstage, the poet of rock and roll
gave Elsa the black ribbon that had tied back her
hair during the tour. Thank you then, Patti
Smith, for my daughter's birthday presents: the
ribbon and, more importantly, a glimpse of the
America with which I fell in love. And for giving
that America -- still there, still restive -- the
voice it deserves.

Back in New York there's a bar called Nevada
Smith's, where life revolves around football. To
walk in is to enter a warp not only of place but
also of time: because of the five-hour lag
between US Eastern and British time, Nevada's is
full on Saturday and Sunday mornings with people
dressed in whatever colours, pints in hand, glued
to the screens, singing songs we know and love
from rainy afternoons in England, just as the
rest of New York is thinking about breakfast.

The result is that those better-heeled New
Yorkers walking silly little dogs or setting out
for Eggs Benedict and a tedious directory of
'today's specials', are confronted by such scenes
as that after last season's Worthington Cup
final: a flowing river of unusually dejected
Mancunians and jubilant Scousers along Third
Avenue, one over the eight, bellowing heartily.
So that a nation which is only just getting to
grips with the global David Beckham phenomenon is
faced with an early-morning rendition of:
'Beckham, oh Beckham; get yer hair cut, yer
missus is a slut.'

Oh well. Becks has decided to leave England now;
but me... hmm... must be time to go home.