Harry, thank you, by the way, for the gracious comment you made this weekend about an earlier post.

In this post I am not arguing about trade, although I certainly agree most protectionist policies are counterproductive. We are lacking a decent, viable jobs plan because we are overly reliant on large corporations and increasingly, the retail/service industries to supply a larger pool of the labor force with income, which are not often living wages to sustain families.  We need more diversity in our jobs base, not less.  Tax cuts that benefit the wealthiest will take time, if indeed they are ever re-invested in jobs production, to succeed.  I’ve made my opinion well known on that trickle down fairy tale.  All the talk about tax cuts going to the low income workers that Bush made during Campaign 2000 were lies.  All the recent fluff about tax cuts for middle income Americans is insignificant to real outcomes in economic growth.  More lies.

Due to a host of factors, there is a growing and persistent employment problem.  If it hasn’t affected anyone close to you or you haven’t noticed it in your neighborhood and community, it is now happening on a large scale to educated, hard-working, career-oriented people, whose families are impacted directly and indirectly.  Insecurity and uncertainty about where this country is headed is already impacting public perceptions and political agendas.  As you, Arthur and Keith keep saying, economists don’t really know how to solve this problem, but the politicians are the ones who take and pledge responsibility for it.

Our values are at stake when we become immune to larger portions of the population living in poverty with very little hope of improving their lot.  Are we comfortable with poverty and hunger on our streets, in our neighborhoods?  Have you noticed a rise in robberies and domestic abuse in your area?  Foreclosures are on the rise, as are intact families that are homeless.  Is it wise and/or cost effective to ignore the impact of millions of Americans who do not have medical coverage, even with jobs, who only see a doctor at the emergency and then the taxpayers pay for it?  Can we shrug off the college educations deferred or aborted?  Can we really afford to ignore these problems in public policy?  Except for lip service, the Bush2 politburo seems to think so, if actions speak louder than words.

So far, the Bush2 jobs program is a misnomer, except in the defense industry.  As our first CEO president, he presides over the greatest job loss in American history since the Great Depression. Pres. Bush needs to address the complaint that he is fostering class warfare, that he is not serious about improving the economic health of this country. His speech on Sept 15th better be more than flag-waving propaganda, because the voting public is paying attention to economic realities, whether he is or not.  It is take that he “fish or cut bait”.

What kind of future are we hoping to create?  – KWC

PS I absolutely love my cordless Logitech keyboard and mouse.

Harry wrote: Karen,

It won't be much comfort to unemployed workers, but as the Economist noted,
advanced nations become more and more service oriented.

I use a cordless (wireless) keyboard and mouse by Logitech. I note the
keyboard was made in Thailand, while the mouse was made in China.Those
countries probably got a dollar or so for them.

The price for these in the stores is some $50-$60. (My #1 son intervened
with rebate offers and I paid about $30.)

Who gets the rest of this price? Obviously the shipping people get some,
but this a notoriously cheap way to move goods. Call it another 50 cents.

So, between (say) $2 and $50 is an amount that pays the wages of a lot of
people engaged in moving goods through the system.

If we stopped the import of keyboards and mice and made them here, they
would be a lot more expensive. Fewer people could afford them and those
that could would be paying perhaps $90-$100.

Worse, we would lose friends. The old Free Trade dictum said: "If goods
don't cross the frontiers, armies will."

I like the fact that a large part of the Chinese economy depends on exports
to the United States. It makes conflict less likely.

With trade, we build up a large group of Chinese with a vested interest in
peace. That's good.

He points out how high sugar prices have sent candy makers into Canada -
the last was LifeSavers. The Sugar Quota holds 270 million American
consumers in thralldom to fewer than 11,000 beet sugar farmers.

It is a typical instance of interference with trade.