As well as suffering from incompetent bosses and a thoroughly spineless Minister of Defence, Geoff Hoon, Dr Kelly worked under another burden. This is that, ever since our glorious civil service was initiated in the 1880s, the administrative class has been selected almost exclusively from the arts and the humanities and, until about 15 years ago, from Oxford and Cambridge only. Out of the two or three hundred in the highest levels there is scarcely a single scientist among them and certainly not a single engineer. The administrative class are all clever sods and are greatly at ease in their Whitehall offices and discrete London clubs but are almost monastic in their knowledge of the real world.

Scientists are treated as shit in the British Civil Service. Because they haven't read all about the pre-Socratic philosophers nor have a nodding acquaintance with the Peloponessian Wars then they are considered to be below the salt.

Dr Kelly was the former head of Porton Down, the top British Research establishment of biological and chemical agents. He was probably one of the world's top half-dozen experts on the subject. He'd been to Iraq 40 times in the course of inspections. But, in the course of being outed as the source of the BBC charge that the government had lied in its intelligence dossier, he was described by one of the God-like administrative civil servants as a "middle-ranking civil servant in the Ministry of Defence".

Status is an incredibly important part of human nature -- particularly of the male -- and public recognition of accomplishment is also important. Some years ago I chided a surgeon about the large salary he was obtaining from the National Health service for doing very little work (about 12 hours a week) he said to me: "Do you know what we miss most?" Raised eyebrows. He continued: "We miss not having an audience who can see the skilfulness of the work we do. We get no applause at all. Every operating theatre ought to have a visitors gallery."

Much the same applies to Dr Kelly. Here was someone doing incredibly important work on behalf of the country and of world-status in his own discipline. Yet he was about five grades down from the top in the 24-grades of the civil service and would never be allowed to go higher than that. According to evidence given to the Hutton Enquiry, there was a letter in his desk at home showing that he was about to be given an honour of some sort in the next New Year's Honours List. Yet, when it was convenient to the higher levels of the Ministry of Defence and the politicians, he was called a "middle-ranking civil servant". This was perfidy of the blackest sort. It must have been a terrible body blow and I'm sure it was the major part of his suicidal depression.

KSH