From: Keith Hudson [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Saturday, August 30, 2003 4:29 PM
To: Ed Weick
Cc: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: US not an Empire (was Re: [Futurework] Will Bush become a Shia
Moslem? Glass half-full or glass half empty?

Ed,

At 16:11 30/08/2003 -0400, you wrote:
>Lawry, I don't think that the US has the luxury of admitting that it made a
>mistake.  Whether it did so or not, it would remain in the very
>uncomfortable position of being the prime terrorist target.  We mustn't
>forget that Sept. 11, 2001 happened before the US wars on Afghanistan and
>Iraq.  A great many people were already very angry at the US before those
>wars and are far angrier now.  What the US has to do is sit on both
>countries until they are pacified and fixed up, and especially Iraq.  It
has
>to demonstrate that it meant and business and continues to mean it.  It may
>take a long time and it may cost a lot of money, but that is what it has to
>do.  No matter what spin it puts on things, It can't just walk out saying
>"Ooops, sorry, we didn't mean that".
>
>Niall Ferguson is a British historian who has recently published a book
>called "Empire".  I haven't read the book, but I saw him interviewed on TV.
>His main argument there was that the US is now an empire much like Britain
>was in the 19th Century.  The difference is that Britain behaved like an
>empire and stayed in places like India long enough to bring about a genuine
>transition toward a more democratic and egalatarian system.  He doubted
that
>the US has the staying power to do so.

Niall Ferguson is, in my opinion, a brilliant historian and a Prof at both
Oxord and somewhere in America. I have three of his books on my shelves. He
also produced a brilliant BBC series recently on the British Empire.
However, I think he's dead wrong about America being an Imperial Power. In
the Middle East, America is just trying to look after itself and its future
oil supplies. However, this is a far stronger motivation than any amount of
empire building and can lead to far greater follies.

KSH
Keith Hudson, 6 Upper Camden Place, Bath, England,
<www.evolutionary-economics.org>