----- Original Message -----
Sent: Sunday, September 07, 2003 3:46 PM
Subject: Re: [Futurework] Workloads

Ray Wrote:

Selma,

I would like to stress that although I disagree with the premise of Western education based on the desire to educate a work force for drudgery pleasureless jobs with no incentive other than greed,  I do not think that the educators are ignorant or incompetant.    I think the assumptions of the system are flawed.

Selma:

I have no quarrel with that, Ray. Each of my kids had some wonderful teachers but they had to fight the system, for the most part, in order to keep doing their good work.

I agree that it is the system that is flawed. I am amazed at the degree to which our children and now, for me, my grandchildren do manage to survive in one way or another and sometimes even develop their natural potentialities. For the most part that seems to depend on whether their potentialities happen to match the priorities of the culture in general and their particular school system in particular.

Ray:

My daughter got a wonderful education but it was in a middle school that stressed math and poetry and in the high school of the Performing Arts in New York City.    She built a discipline based in the pleasure of successful growth and our problem has never been to keep her from working.   In fact the opposite has been true.   She has the same drive as when she used to practice singing as a baby and provide lessons for my students in practice discipline.   Babies always make their parents better singers if the parents are paying attention.

One point I would make is that she was ill for a year and a half and during that time she kept up her studies and provided her own incentive to work including working with her high school friends who helped.   The school system was flexible enough to both facilitate her work and adjust to her schedule rather than just graduating her.   She elected to stay behind a year when they wanted her to graduate with her class.   She felt that she was not prepared and decided to stay a year longer.   That meant that the system paid for her study a year longer.   That was a big gift on the part of the New York City Schools even though they were required by law to do it.  I appreciate that gift.

Selma:

I know that there are children who are able to develop their potentialities and the story of your daughter is wonderful to hear and lightens my heart. But, Ray, you do know that The High School of The Performing Arts in New York City is unique; there may be other schools like it, but I have not heard of them

Ray:

I find that work is native to humanity

Selma:

I am absolutely convinced that ALL babies born into an environment that nurtures them in every way possible and provides them with the stimulation they should have would develop into adults who would have WORK and LOVE as the cornerstones of their lives. Maslow discusses this and Carl Rogers alludes to it. I don't believe that there is any such thing as a lazy person; there are people who have not been given the opportunity to develop their potentialities and are not allowed to do what they love to do or even find out what that is, and I believe this applies to almost everyone, even those without average mental capacities and/or other limitations.

Ray:

and that the problem is the uniform robotic work of Utilitarian thought which should be assigned to slave machines with no consciousness.   The next step is to decide how to facilitate the continued growth processes of the young child into adulthood and integrate them into the society.   That requires a redefinition of work and new ways of expressing the human spirit in action short of war and redundant competition that uses up resources.

Selma:

Yes!

Ray:

I appreciate Fromm but he is still, a bit mired in the language of his culture.    My daughter's mother is a Sullivanian analyst with an expertise in Fromm who was at William Alanson White where she studied (but not at the same time)   Also I had a lot of Fromm type work when I was in college and read the books.   He meant a lot to me but doesn't speak so much to me these days.    I suspect it is not a difference in content but simple style.   Still I would like to hear from you in your language and not the language of all of these other people.    It means a lot to me when you speak from your experience.   I afraid we are now the elders and must speak with our own voices.

Selma:

To tell the truth, I haven't reread Fromm lately; it was just that his idea about people becoming commodities seemed to be appropriate in that discussion after your comment about looking at the underlying structures of what we are talking about.

Also, my own spiritual and intellectual journey has made the idea of Being a very important one, especially as it points up the problems with a society in which 'having' is so much a part of the prevailing philosophy. The idea of Being and all that goes with it also speaks to me of an alternative to the linearity that you so justifiably see as limiting our thinking.

Ray:

Good to read you again,

Selma:

It's good to be contributing to the discussion again.

Ray Evans Harrell, artistic director
The Magic Circle Opera Repertory Ensemble, Inc.