It is often said that art is subjective but in actuality all of reality is subjective.   Art is non-linear.   Where do you start in a painting?    Charts are often graphic representations that are impossible to catch in linear writing.   Poetry is an attempt to break the bounds of linearity.   In fact Christianity is said to be the moment when linear time stopped and mankind was thrown out of the bounds of Linearity (sin) and into the holistic reality of the trinity.    Nature is non-linear, music is non-linear although it has threads that are linear and the idea of link on the computer is a non-linear reality although its threads are linear.   A spider's web is non-linear and spider woman is the image for many of the indigeneous people's of the world as the highest description of the structure of reality.   In our myths the water beetle spider spun a web and rescued the old linear sun from the mud where he was stuck.

Ray Evans Harrell,

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Wednesday, September 17, 2003 11:23 AM
Subject: [Futurework] Re: [Futurework] Re: [Futurework] Re: [Futurework] "Spiritualität macht frei" ? (was Re: NYT Article: Is Buddhism Good for Your Health?)

Ed wrote:

> I don't know what a "linear thinker" is.

The following are quotes from a book entitled

*The Hidden Heart of the Cosmos* by Brian Swimme

Swimme is a mathematical cosmologist. I would be interested to know how members of this list would be able to explain the following phenomena within the context of causality and Newtonian physics which is the base of materialistic, reductionist thinking and depends on linear thinking for its logic.

p.88

"To be in the universe is to be at its center"

He discusses the fact that every place in the universe is an origin point for the universe.  pp 87,88,89

pp 92,93

  He talks about what would happen if every conceivable particle of every kind is removed from a space

"Even when there are no atoms, and no elementary particles, and no protons, and no photons, suddenly elementary particles will emerge.. The particles simply foam into existence."

 p.93  He comments on the fact that they do not come from anywhere

"These elementary particles crop up out of the vacuum itself-that is the simple and awesome discovery"

The title of Ch. 13 in this book is  "The All-Nourishing Abyss" which is all there is, i.e., there is no place outside of this 'all-nourishing abyss'.

p.101 Everywhere, "even in the gaps between the synapses of the neurons in the brain, there occurs an incessant foaming, a flashing flame, a shining-forth-from and a dissolving-back-into. The importance of the cosmological tradition is its power to awaken those deep convictions necessary for wisdom."

p.104
"From our own fresh empirical-mathematical-observational contemplation of the univers we have identified a nonmaterial realm suffusing not only the great macrocosm of the universe but suffusing just as thoroughly the microcosm of the human and of every being of the Earth and universe. That which gave birth to the universe is giving birth at this moment as well. Although our understnding is very young, and thus inadequate in many ways, what we have discovered is already profoundly stirring."

"Each child is situated in that very place and is rooted in that very power that brought forth all the matter and energy of the universe."

I look forward to your responses.

Selma