I read the paper "Global Civil Society" and was mightily impressed. I am
working on a paper looking at the effects of decentralization on primary
health care so the issue was very relevant.

I just finished reading "Where the world is heading toward" by Shahid
Yusuf. Shahid is a publishing colleague of Joseph Stiglitz whom I admire
a lot.

What troubled me about the paper was that he is the research manager for
a unit of the World Bank, and while citing sources, makes great leaps of
faith from one article to the next without documentation, very unlike the
anal field I work in. He looks at globalization and localization which,
he argues, are occurring concurrently. He doesn't deal with the growth of
the EU nor of NAFTA and the demise of the nation-state of California nor
the bankruptcy of Irvine County.

If he is correct in the majority of his hypotheses, you could look at
California with the 10th largest economy in the world, as being sucked up
in the vortex of the super city, Los Angeles. Is this what Mexico City is
doing to Mexico? It certainly is what Midland, Texas is doing to the rest
of the world [:>)}.

Here is the link to the article:

http://www1.worldbank.org/wbiep/decentralization/Module2/Yusuf.pdf.

 I would like comments from those interested.

Thanks, Bill