From: Harry Pollard [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Thursday, September 18, 2003 7:18 PM
To: Cordell, Arthur: ECOM; [EMAIL PROTECTED];
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: RE: [Futurework] "Wettbewerb macht frei"? (market competition)

Arthur,

Chris is often wrong, but never realizes it because he takes no notice of
correction.

On my recent trip, neither of our car hires provided me with the cars I
wanted. In each case I was upgraded to an SUV. They were great to drive,
had lots of glass and space for viewing, and they were loaded with all the
bells and whistles with which men love to play.

Our British car was a diesel, which somewhat surprised me. I thought they
were mostly a thing of the past. It gobbled fuel, which hurt at those
English prices.

Light trucks have a high driver casualty rate. SUV's were statistically
bundled in with light trucks which gave a completely wrong impression.

These results was touted by those who didn't like SUV's  as proof that they
were dangerous. Actually sub-compacts have a worse driver casualty rate
than SUV's - but sub-compacts are beloved of the anti-SUV crowd so we
mustn't mention that.

Want safety? Get one of the specialty luxury cars - of the Affinity, Lexus,
ilk. Of course they are a might pricey but you have to pay for excellence.

Chris mentioned "previously popular light/solar vehicles". I don't know
where he gets these fantasies.

Arthur wrote:

>Chris has a point.  Fuel efficiency standards were brought into law.  The
>SUV was the loophole to dodge the standards.  Politicians and lobbyists
>allowed a product to capture a large share of the market.  A product that
>yields some private benefit (a feeling of power, a Marlboro man--but the
>rollovers become the cancer of the Marlboro analogy)   at a large public
>cost (fuel usage and pollution and crowding).  If the SUV was counted as
>part of the CAFE standards it would have not been built in such quantities.
>
>arthur

Harry Pollard
Henry George School of Social Science of Los Angeles
Box 655   Tujunga   CA   91042
Tel: (818) 352-4141  --  Fax: (818) 353-2242
http://home.comcast.net/~haledward