I like my airline pilots, dentists, surgeons, fire fighters, etc. to be linear thinkers.  Compulsive linear thinkers.  A job to be done.

arthur
-----Original Message-----
From: Ray Evans Harrell [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Friday, September 19, 2003 6:41 PM
To: Ed Weick; Selma Singer; Keith Hudson; pete
Cc: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: [Futurework] Re: [Futurework] Re: [Futurework] Re: [Futurework] [Futurework] FW: "Spiritualität macht fr ei" ?

One version of non-Linear thought is four directional thought which places an observation in four positions or universes or it could be as many as you wish around the problem being examined.   You could talk again to those old people you spoke to when you wrote that government report.   Or you could read Warfield's discussion of linearity in relation to systems in his "Structure Based Science of Complexity"  tome.   Linearity seems more an issue of people who are dealing with the issues of "practical IQ" where problems with more than one thread have to be solved.    Something as simple as the use of Vitamins for human health have proven to be difficult to double blind test because the factors are variable and the subjects are systems that are similar but with enough variables to skew the result.  Biochemically individual.  That is the root of all of those four directional symbols you see out West.   There are processes that are meant to look at a problem from thousands of different viewpoints by using people in a Council situation over a period of time.   That is what those big wheels on the mountains are about, on one level.

REH