Sent: Friday, September 19, 2003 2:57 PM
Subject: [Futurework] Re: [Futurework] Re: [Futurework] [Futurework] FW: "Spiritualität macht fr ei" ?

I have a question that may or may not have some kind of answer but it seems to me very closely related to this discussion. I think it is a question that Ray could probably answer better than anyone else because he is so closely involved in the arts.

It is my impression, both from my own experience and from what I have heard and read about people in the arts and in other fields such as sports and science, etc. that it is true of the very finest  artists that when s/he has been thoroughly trained in the technicalities of her/his art, the next step is to master those technicalities so thoroughly that they no longer are the focus of that artists performance because then and only then the focus can become the artistic components of the art, i.e., the musicality, the dramatic impact perhaps in the theatre which goes beyond the words, the passion in a painting, the sense in a basketbal game of being part of the team to the point that the team acts a unit, etc.

So the learning of the technical elements of, e.g., an instrument, or the voice, would you say, involve linear thinking and, of course, if one cannot do this one cannot do anything else; the real art is then something that is not possible within the realm of the linear because it demands much more, althoug, again, it is not possible to produce that much more unless the linear has first taken place.

Selma

As these thoughts have come to me it occurs now to me that this can be extended to-who knows how many areas of life.

S.