Pete,

Interesting thread.

My only contribution was a suggestion about intuition, but it might have other ramifications.

I suggested that the flood of information that invades our minds hovers there leaving memories. I thought that an intuitive conclusion arises from our unconscious connection of these pieces of perhaps disparate information.

Perhaps triggered by snake-like flames in a fire!

Perhaps, insights, inspirations, and suchlike, are also the connection of fugitive memories to produce something "new".

There are other stimuli.

Maybe three decades ago I was having dinner with three others including David Friedman - son of Milton - and we got on to the question of value. David wiped me out. I am not often destroyed in debate, so I went back to the drawing board, so to speak.

Our of it came my "collectible" theory with regard to land. Also, a re-write of the Austrian ideas of value - I think fleshing out ideas that kind of hang in the air.

This stimulus came from a blow to my psyche. Nothing so esoteric as seeing snake-flames in the fire. But, just as effective in drawing to the foreground things I knew - but didn't know I knew.

Which describes (I think) a source of inspiration, innovation, and intuition.

pete wrote:

On Sat, 20 Sep 2003, Keith Hudson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Pete,
>
>What you write below, IMHO, is excellent and accurate. I wouldn't demur
>from a single word.
>
>However, the whole point about all this is -- as I wrote in my reply to
>Ed -- that we can't "get at" the sort of lateral thinking that some would
>wish to inculcate by one method or another because the components of new
>ideas are partly unconscious. Very often -- and this almost always seems
>to happen in cases of great innovation by geniuses -- one of the
>components of a brilliant new idea is an accident! One of the components
>is a total obsession with a particular problem, and the other component
>is usually an accident -- a chance event, a casual conversation.
>
>The prototypical case -- which you will certainly know about -- is that
>of Kekule's discovery of the 6-carbon-atom structure of benzene which had
>baffled many of the best brains in science. This obsessed him and
>occupied this daylight thinking for years. But it was not until he fell
>asleep in front of a blazing fire with snake-like flames that he then
>dreamed of six snakes in a ring, each snake eating the tail of another.
>He woke up with the solution to the benzene ring -- a concept that no-one
>else had come within a million miles of guessing. Obsession+accident = a
>new idea. There's no method of simulating this, no matter how many de
>Bono books you buy, or brainstorming course you go on.
>
>Keith Hudson

Keith, I concur totally. My description of the self-deception practiced
by the brain makes these "other ways of knowing" notoriously resistant
to exploitation by the conscious mind and its schemes and goals.
Generally we get these as "insights", and they are sort of our
unconscious mind's gift to us. However I am not confident to
totally rule out the possibility that these faculties could be
accessed and harnessed, as my extensive practice of introspection
suggests that with a level of diligence atypical in western culture,
introspective disciplines can lead to unsuspected revelations about
our mental architecture. However, twenty years of persistent effort
at contemplation is quite distinct from reading a few pop books and
taking the odd weekend workshop, so I think your observation holds
for the large part.

-Pete Vincent

At 16:59 19/09/2003 -0700, [PV] wrote:

> [...]
> >when the patient's hands are placed in two boxes so they cannot
> >be seen, which contain two different objects, then the patient
> >is interrogated as to the content of the box which he can feel,
> >if the answer is to be spoken, the response will relate to one
> >box, but if it is to be written down, it will relate to the
> >other box, as speech is on one side of the brain, and writing
> >is on the other, and which ever side is to provide the answer
> >conveys only that which it knows (the sense data from each
> >hand goes only to one side of the brain). But if you try to
> >point out the discrepancies in the reponses, the patient is
> >found to have a surprising resistance to acknowledging the
> >disparity. It can be demonstrated that each side of the brain
> >uses every trick it can come up with to sneak access to the
> >knowledge of the other half, meanwhile denying that there is
> >any separation, flatly refusing to believe that two autonomous
> >"thought engines" are operating, even when the evidence is
> >indisputable. Why should this be? Because in reality this sort
> >of deceit is going on all the time in normal healthy individuals,
> >it is just that with considerable communication between the
> >hemispheres, the illusion is much more seamless and easy to
> >conceal.
> >
> >The other sort of damage which reveals the same deviousness
> >occurs with stroke victims. Again, I'm sure you have encountered
> >the stories. When a part of the visual cortex is damaged, a
> >patient will draw pictures with one side of all the objects
> >missing, but won't realize that it is gone. Or will be unable
> >to acquire some piece of sensory information, but will aggressively
> >"eavesdrop" on themselves to acquire the information by
> >other means, while refusing to acknowledge that they are
> >doing so. The important point being that in these cases,
> >while their errors are glaringly obvious to all other observers,
> >they are utterly invisible to themselves.
> >
> >These anecdotes, which I have only briefly indicated, point
> >to the systemic misdirection the mind uses to maintain
> >an illusion of a unitary self, whose behaviour is rational
> >and consistent. In fact, the reality is that loads and
> >loads of little semi-autonomous pieces of the brain are
> >always churning away, sensing, filtering, interpreting,
> >providing bits of information, and most importantly coming
> >to conclusions, outside of the purview of conscious
> >attention, which flits from "module" to "module", pulling
> >in bits of resultant items to sew together to provide an
> >apparent seamless, linear stream of awareness, with an
> >apparent logical, rational narrative justification to
> >hold it all together. But knowing what we now know about
> >how this mechanism works, it should be clear that this
> >narrative is essentially propaganda, a convenient myth to
> >keep the individual from collapsing into an existential
> >chaos of fractured identity. In truth, the brain works
> >massively in parallel, and is not linear at all.

Harry Pollard
Henry George School of Social Science of Los Angeles
Box 655   Tujunga   CA   91042
Tel: (818) 352-4141  --  Fax: (818) 353-2242
http://home.comcast.net/~haledward