From: Ed Weick [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Saturday, September 27, 2003 11:49 AM
To: Brad McCormick, Ed.D.; futurework
Subject: Re: [Futurework] More myopia and all that ~ looking thru the telescope vs looking in the mirror?

> > Ed Weick wrote:
> >
> >> From Adolph Eichmanns closing statement:
> >>
> >>     My life's principle, which I was taught very early on, was to
> >>     desire and to strive to achieve ethical values. >From a particular
> >>     moment on, however, I was prevented by the State from living
> >>     according to this principle. I had to switch from the unity of
> >>     ethics to one of multiple morals. I had to yield to the inversion
> >>     of values which was prescribed by the State.
> >>
> >> Just doin' my job suh, just doin' my job.  It was the boss, suh, not me.
> The quote does not sound to me quite so "simple".  It sounds to
> me more like Eichmann was childreared to be "good" in an environment
> where goodness was defined in terms of obeying the values of
> the persons in authority (initially one's parents).  Had
> he been on *our* side, he would, at worst, have had a
> successful career, and perhaps have received some public
> recognition of his good service to the values we hold dear.
> I can posibly imagine Abraham saying something similar when
> ordered to kill his son Isaac, had he been brought
> before some tribunal.
>
> I don't have a pithy "moral" to draw from this.
> And maybe Eichmann really thought "Just doin' my job suh",
> but that is not exactly what the quote seems to me to say.
> The words say the man believes he has a conscience and
> that he tried to live acording to it.
Brad, I didn't mean to trivialize what Eichmann said, and you are right, Eichmann probably did have a conscience and tried to live by it.  However, what I think what he was saying was that serving the individual conscience had to be subservient, and if necessary bent, to the higher purposes of the state.  I don't think it would have taken much bending.  Among those higher purposes in Germany and indeed in much of Europe, historically, was that Jews had to be kept in their place by being isolated, ghettoized, expelled and, under some circumstance, killed because they were viewed as antithetical to the welfare and order of the state.  I don't believe Eichmann when he said he had trouble doing his job.  He was a good German of his time, a good official, used to following orders.  While he may not have relished the thought of killing five million people, someone had to do the paperwork, and it fell to him.

When I used the phrase "Just doin' my job, suh", a very banal way of putting it, I had in mind Hannah Arndt's characterization of Eichmann's testimony as "the banality of evil".

Ed