After reading the following article in today's Sunday Times, I suddenly had a curious feeling rather similar to the man in Molière's book (Le bourgeois gentilhomme) who realised that he'd been speaking prose for 40 years. I suddenly realised that I am an entrepreneur.

It's been 17 and 7 years since I started my two existing businesses (with two failures before that) and I often forget how difficult it was to get them started. So, in the newspaper item below, when I read sentences like "Entrepreneurs are different from the rest of us. They don't behave rationally in the way other people do. They're willing to risk everything to start a business." I actually find myself responding as I'm sure most people do. I say to myself: "How odd/crazy these entrepreneurs are!"

I never usually think of myself as an entrepreneur because I'm really much more interested in ideas than in making money (or, rather, making lots of money) and delving into something called evolutionary economics, but when I consider that I have twice lost all my money (down literally to a few pounds or so each time) then I feel that I must be a genuine entrepreneur. I'm actually one of these odd/crazy people! But, on reflection, I actually feel just a teeny-weeny bit proud that I have created two unique types of business -- modest though they are -- that didn't exist before but which directly produced about two dozen jobs as a consequence (and several imitative businesses in each case also).

Anyway, the BBC are broadcasting a TV programme on the matter, Mind of a Millionaire, next week. I recognise some of the personality traits in myself as described in the following article, but not all. Maybe that's why I'm not a millionaire.

Keith Hudson

<<<<
CHILDHOOD SHAPES THE FUTURE WHIZZ-KIDS

The mind of an entrepreneur

Rachel Bridge

They are hugely optimistic, full of energy and extremely exciting to be around. But they are also stubborn, single-minded and selfish. And they absolutely hate holidays.

Welcome to the fascinating world inside the mind of the entrepreneur, where risk is irrelevant, speed is vital -- and failure is not an option.

In a bid to find out what makes them tick, a team of psychologists and business experts spent a day putting a group of entrepreneurs through a series of psychological tests for a new BBC2 series, called Mind of a Millionaire, which kicks off this Tuesday at 9pm. What they found was rather surprising.

Adrian Atkinson, business psychologist with the consultancy Human Factor International and one of the programme's experts, says: "Entrepreneurs are different from the rest of us. They don't behave rationally in the way other people do. They're willing to risk everything to start a business. They pursue opportunities without regard for resources, preferring to create the opportunity and then find the money later.

"They believe that everything that happens, whether good or bad, is due to their actions."

The result, he says, is great for the economy, which thrives on constant innovation and change, but not so good for dinner-party conversation.

"You wouldn't want to get stuck in a lift with an entrepreneur because most of them are not tremendously enjoyable companions," he says. "They have this amazing focus and single-mindedness and they don't need relationships with other people. They just talk about business all the time."

Atkinson says entrepreneurs can be divided into three distinct types: (1) Social entrepreneurs, such as Paul Harrod, whose company provides employment for the homeless. These entrepreneurs are driven by the desire to improve society; (2) Theme entrepreneurs, such as Anita Roddick, who start businesses within a particular defined area; and (3) Serial entrepreneurs, such as Richard Branson, who look for opportunities to create wealth anywhere and will often set up one company after another in quick succession.

All three types are, however, motivated by one of three factors -- revenge, status or power. And the roots of that stem overwhelmingly from their childhood experiences.

Atkinson explains: "Revenge entrepreneurs are driven to put right a social injustice to their family or to themselves, which they experienced as a child.

"Status entrepreneurs are driven to create a situation where they are highly respected by the people they think matter. Something in their childhood has made them feel excluded and they are determined to show the world that they fit in.

"Power entrepreneurs are driven by the desire to show people they can do whatever they want to do. What drives all of them is the desire to create wealth to appease their feelings of insecurity. It is not about money, it is about providing security from slipping back into their previous existence."

René Carayul, a business adviser and another member of the programme's team of experts, says one of the most fascinating characteristics of entrepreneurs is their absolute refusal to acknowledge failure.

He says: "They don't do failure, they redefine it. Failure for them is a learning experience that will enable them to be even better. If they fall over, they just come straight back up again. I have never met such a bunch of optimistic people. Everything is an opportunity, the glass isn't half full, it's spilling over."

Carayul says there are several things traditional business people can learn from the way entrepreneurs work. He says: "Number one, making mistakes is okay. It's a necessary part of learning. Number two, speed is the key competitive advantage when you're in business now -- it's not who does it better, it's who gets there first. Time used to be the enemy. It's now an assassin. And number three, play to your strengths."

Sadly, for the rest of us, however, Carayol thinks that ultimately entrepreneurs are born, not made. He says: "If you don't have that drive, that energy, that focus, then you can't make a chicken salad out of chicken s**t, no matter how you try."

Keith Hudson, Bath, England, <www.evolutionary-economics.org>, <www.handlo.com>, <www.property-portraits.co.uk>