Arthur,

I don't exactly remember saying that these were " immutable" laws.

These are simply assumptions with which one begins a study. Good assumptions should be pretty general in nature and preferably axiomatic, or self evident truths.

The two are the only assumptions in classical political economy, but of course if one picks up a modern textbook one finds an assumption on every page. In fact, there will be several assumptions on every page.

I was amused at the reaction some two or three years ago when on Future Work I suggested the two assumptions that preceded every science. They were:

"There is an order in the universe."

"The mind of Man can discover that order."

It seemed difficult for our friends to grasp that these assumptions did not say that was an order in the universe, nor did they say that man will discover the order. Simply, that the scientist must make these assumptions if he is to proceed with his work.

Assumptions are useful, but they can also cause of trouble. Too many assumptions are likely to confuse the study if they work to cross purposes. As Bertrand Russell said, "Two assumptions are better than sixteen."

So that's what the classical analysts used -- two assumptions about human behavior which after all, is what their study is all about.

Modern neoclassical economists should try to remember that their basic building block is a person -- a human being. Then perhaps they would not make so many mistakes..

Arthur wrote:

Desires unlimited, etc.