The following letter in today's Independent is an ever-present reminder of the waste that goes on in civil services. Those who would seek to downplay it might say: "Ah but that's what used to go on; it doesn't now", or: "But that was in the British Civil Service; not in ours." The truth is, it goes on everywhere, and in private industry, too. When I ran a department at Massey-Ferguson in Coventry 25 years ago I delegated everything so completely I had nothing to do (and most of my staff only had  half-a-day's work anyway) and spent most of my time reading. At, say, half-a-dozen books a week over the years, I must have read thousands. For three years, I also edited an environmental magazine from the same M-F office. However, the big difference between the bureaucracy at Massey-Ferguson and the over-staffing in the civil service is that when things obviously became too bad at M-F (declining profits), they carried out a straight 10% redundancy -- with no messing about. A year later, they had another 10% redundancy; a year later another 10%. It was at about that time I left (voluntarily!). Massey-Ferguson continued to have at least another three 10% redundancies in the following years. Heck, if I'd remained, they might even have sacked me!

The problem is that, once the majority of politicians have had little or no experience in business either as employer or employee -- as is the case in this country at least -- then civil service chiefs (being more intelligent, usually) are easily able to bamboozle their ministers with bbb ("bullshit baffles brains"). From then onwards, then there's no known way of restraining a bureaucracy until the whole edifice collapses through sheer grossness and ineptitude, like the Ottoman Empire or the USSR. When Lord Heseltine in this country was Minister for Industry 20 years ago, he asked his Permanent Secretary (that is, the chief civil service boss of his Department) what one sub-department of 17,000 civil servants were doing. The latter didn't know and said he would find out. Heseltine never did discover what they did. In the last six years, the present government have added 600,000 civil servants, 60,000 to the Home Office alone. I have little doubt that at least half of them are engaged in shuffling paper between them, and half of the rest are either on promotion-interview committees or are appearing  in front of them, and that there are scarcely more than a couple of hundred worthwhile jobs all told.

Besides evolutionary economics, I sometimes think we need another new branch of economics that will forget about GDP (whatever its arbitrary statistics may mean, these days) and concern itself with the annual rate of growth of government bureaucracies (where you can count real numbers -- people) because it is this, at the end of the day, that determines the economic health of any region or nation-state. After the USSR in recent times, France and Germany, slowing down very badly now, will probably be the next to go, followed by a few more European countries I can think of.  It won't be long afterwards before this country stalls, too. Probably the only country that will survive in reasonable heart will be Italy (Northern Italy anyway). Italians have never really taken to the idea of the nation-state with the same enthusiasm as others, so it's still largely governed at regional and city level and, besides, half of its daily business is in the grey economy and uncontrolled by the state. It's the only spark of vitality left in Europe. At least, that's what I think now. I might differently when I return next week from a holiday in Venice.

Keith Hudson

<<<<
THE PRESENTEE CULTURE THAT TRAINS OUR PUBLIC SERVICES

Sir: The problem with our public services is that neither ministers nor senior civil servants know how, in reality, their departments function. Middle grade civil servants can see where the problems lie. Unfortunately they are never consulted.

When I was put in charge of a section in the Department of Overseas Development some years ago, my first act was to sit with each member of my staff and get them to explain what they did. There was one clerical officer whose sole function was to compile statistics each month and send them on to another section. On enquiry I discovered that the other section just put the statistics on file. When asked why they needed the figures they said they had no idea but that they had always received them. The establishment officer was asked to find the clerical officer another job.

Within a week I had in theory dispensed with 30 per cent of my staff. The establishment officer refused to remove the redundant staff as he said he could not find them alternative work. So I instituted a rota system so the staff could, unofficially, take one morning or afternoon off a week. The women welcomed the idea but the male staff did not. They had nothing to do with the free time and would prefer to be in the office twiddling their thumbs.

The result of my seeking to run an efficient section was that I myself had little to occupy myself. I asked for a transfer and began the same process in another section. I was called to see the establishment officer, who said, "Look here Lewis, things cannot go on like this. I have no more vacancies, so just stop this nonsense.".

Market Thatcher had the brilliant idea that she could reduce the size of the civil service by hiving-off departments by creating agencies. The result is that more staff are employed who are scattered around the country. The only way to deal with this problem is to institute a 30 per cent across-the-board cut in staff, including non-medical staff in hospitals and non-teaching staff in education.
DAVID LEWIS
Colsterworth, Lincolnshire

Keith Hudson, Bath, England, <www.evolutionary-economics.org>, <www.handlo.com>, <www.property-portraits.co.uk>