Hi Harry,

For starters, (and others may want to jump in with definitions) I agree
there is a libertarian dialectic, as you point out - 'right libertarians'
and 'left libertarians.'

The contemporaneous libertarianism is of the right wing variety and is
legitimated, most often, by the philosophy of Ayn Rand, and the economic
thinking of Hayek and Friedman.  It shares elements of the neoconservative
and neoliberal critique of what's wrong with contemporary society,
particularly the idea that government is a millstone around the neck of the
individual.  Any notion of a collective identity, based on race or class, or
gender, would likely be anathema to a right-libertarian.

In our earlier discussions of Buddhism and the workplace, I was trying to
suggest that the Buddhist concern with the invidual reaching their own
individual Buddha state, through inner self-development, is an attractive
idea where libertarian ideology has taken root, either individually, or
institutionally.  Not to forget that possessive individualism is a
cornerstone of capitalism.

When I was being politically socialized, in the 60s and 70s, the
libertarianism I became acquainted with was 'left libertarianism',
influenced by the thinking of anarchists like Peter Kropotkin.  Noam Chomsky
is probably the best example of this kind of left-libertarianism.

Both libertarianisms share a preoccupation with the role of individualism
and freedom, in their epistemologies, but otherwise are starkly different;
right libertarians embracing hyper-capitalism, whereas left libertarians
critique captialism and embrace the hyper-individualism of self-regulated
individuals in civil society, sans a state; the latter being not necessarily
incompatible with the political thinking of Marx and Engels in a society
where the state has already withered away, but not in the transitional stage
towards such a society.

Defining is not necessarily an easy task as the 'right libertarians' have
appropriated many of the key words once associated with 'left
libertarians' - a common discourse reframing in the conservative restoration
we are living.

Off the top.  What are your thoughts?

Bob