Harry, a few comments in blue, below.

Ed

----- Original Message -----
From: "Harry Pollard" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>; <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>; <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>; <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Wednesday, October 15, 2003 4:19 PM
Subject: RE: [Futurework] Fw: All the President's votes? [long; important]

> Arthur,
>
> Well -- and gently -- said, Arthur.
>
> Before I was forced into sunnier climes, I was glad to live in
> Canada.  However I began to notice something that was happening that did
> not bode well for the Canadian future.
>
> It was a move to the left and a gallop toward the controlled economy.  This
> in the nation which by its open nature and immense resources just cried out
> for a free market.  It Canada had dropped all its import controls and
> opened itself out in the world, there would have been a chance for it to
> become a major global influence.
>
> As it is, I'm saddened by Canada's gradual fall -- perhaps indicated best
> by the fall in the Canadian dollar.  (Watch the US dollar.)

In actual fact, Harry, the movement (perhaps not a gallop) has been to the right.  Reagan and Thatcher still live in Canada.  Whatever, they may call themselves, several provincial governments are essentially punitive Neo-conservative in political philosophy.  They have relished degrading and destroying social programs that were built up over the years and that had essentially defined Canada as a good place to live.  Ontario just got rid of its Neo-cons.  Whether it has replaced them with anything better remains to be seen.

Our federal government, which calls itself "Liberal", has occupied the whole spectrum from left to right, and has shifted this way and that, depending on where the winds blow.  This will now end and it will be "rightward Ho!"  A new leader with unassailable right wing credentials and business connections is about to take over.

I've snipped the rest of your posting because I'm still hoping to wake up to find that the election of Ahnold Schwarzenegger was some kind of comic dream!  If it isn't, all one can say is the people deserve the kind of government they elect.

Ed