The main thesis of my economic case is that the class of quite well-off middle class people (the initiatory class) are now so busy and stressed that they have little time left over to buy and use the sort of major items -- as was the car and TV in the last century -- that will have significant stimulatory effects on the economy as a whole as they subsequently cascade down through the rest of the consumer strata. Even though the sub-middle class are straddled with huge credit card debts on average, they are not spending their money on anything really new and significant but are simply maintaining expenditure on items which have long since become the norm -- cars, holidays, electronic equipment, etc.

Another way of saying this is that modern society in developed countries is now pretty heavily stressed. In an article in today's Sunday Telegraph, Jeff Randall, also the Business Editor of the BBC, devotes an article to this. He rather spoils his case in places by being somewhat tongue-in-cheek as though he doesn't really experience stress (at least in his own daily life) but, nevertheless, he acknowledges its existence. He doesn't actually give much specific evidence of stress, except to quote a varied collection advanced by others, but two of these I regard as being strong cases of both causes and consequences of stress -- namely, not having children, and being in debt. I have already mentioned the latter. As regards not having children, then I believe that the rapidly descending fertility rate in developed countries in the last couple of decades as being among the most potent indicators. Almost all of the adults of Europe, Japan and now, the white component of America are now not replacing themsleves.

The negative replacement rate of families with much fewer than the necessary 2.2 children per family is, in truth, a sort of collective suicide. It is no exaggeration to suggest that this is a society that believes in itself so little that it doesn't want to survive. The same argument applies, I believe, to the high incidence of homosexuality, a significant contributor of contraception today. Nothing anywhere near this has ever happened before in history. Some would suggest that it was quite common in ancient Greece and Sparta. This is not so. Some high-class gymnasia (philosophical discussion groups) would take handsome boys under their wing, as it were, with the express permission of their fathers, but these boys would grow up to be quite normal heteroexuals and fathers in turn. In the case of Sparta, the boys who were selected to be future warriors would live together for years until they were young men and no doubt were practisting homosexuals for the duration (just as many men are in prison or prisoner-of-war camps) but, in due course, they got married, if only to make sure that the warrior caste would continue. In some cases, their wives had to practise a form of behaviour therapy for a while (including cutting their hair short so that they looked like boys) until their husbands adjusted and spent more of their time with them.

Such is the political climate surrounding discussion of homosexuals that those, such as myself, who think that homosexuality is not really to be desired, particularly as it restricts the experience of a great many adolescent males, find it difficult to talk or write about it without receiving a great deal of abuse as somehow being a reactionary. Lately, however, I think the tide has begun to turn. At least one paper (by the highly-liberal and respected Professor Spitzer) discussing cures (for those who want it) has been published.

Also, wearing my hat as a publisher of choral music, I am currently experiencing a phenomenon which suggests very strongly that the issue of homosexuality, though hidden for the most part, is a great deal more stressful than polite discussion in an urbane liberal society would suggest. To introduce this, let me first give an example of what happened after the devastating Al-Qaeda attack on the New York Trade Center on 11 September 2001. Immediately -- by this I mean the next day -- my sales of music declined precipitously. Most of my normal sales of choral music goes to American choirs (via the internet) and most of these are to church choirs. On 12 September my sales dropped to a quarter of their normal levels and stayed that way for weeks, rising only very slowly in the following months. If this had not happened so dramatically -- that is, on the very next day -- I could not have believed that sales could ever have been so badly affected for this particular reason. In fact, sales didn't reach their normal monthly levels and normal rates of growth until 15 months later.

A similar effect has happened recently. Since the beginning of this month -- which has normally been my second busiest months of the year for the past seven years -- sales have halved. This drop in sales, at a time when choral directors are arranging their singing programmes for Christmas and the winter season, has been so significant that there must be an obvious cause. But I couldn't for the life of me think what it could be. And then the penny dropped. The Anglican church in England and its equivalent in America, the Episcopal church, have, for the past fortnight, been going through what can only be described as an earthquake. Since the election of a bishop, Gene
Robinson -- and a practising homosexual at that -- discussion on whether he should be confirmed in that position has produced talk of a schism within the Anglican church which could divide the church from top to bottom and in many countries. In England, some months previously, Archbishop Rowan Williams had persuaded Jeffrey John -- gay, though celibate -- to stand down as putative bishop of Reading and the controversy had died down. But Gene Robinson in America has refused to stand down and so the issue errupted this month. Not being a churchgoer myself and with no knowledge of church politics, I had no personal intimation of the depth of this controversy, but it is quite clear to me now from reading the newpapers that this matter must be of the most profound unease within the Anglican church itself.

Whether the issue will divide the Church of England and the Episcopal Church in America I have no idea. How long the drop in sales will continue, I also have no idea. I'm fairly philosophical about it and I am reasonably sure that sales will not be permanently affected, if only because the early music I sell is also bought by secular choirs. I suspect, however, that the controversy within the church will give some courage to those who don't believe that homosexuality should be accepted as a normal and welcome state of affairs, but would like to talk about it calmly without being jumped on. However, even though the atmosphere might become a little more balanced, it still won't alter the fact that our present type of mass production, mass consumer society is very highly stressed and that many sorts of correction need to take place before it become much worse.

Keith Hudson

<<<<
ALL THIS TALK ABOUT STRESS

Jeff Randall

Do you ever get the feeling that Britain is cracking up? I don't mean physically, though our well-documerited problems with rail, roads and power would suggest that the country's infrastructure is indeed falling apart. No I'm talking about cracking up between the ears: growing signs that most of us simply cannot handle life's everyday problems without tummg them into a full-blown, brain-behding crisis.

My parehts' generation generally encountered difficulties far greater than those faced by most of us today. In the 1940s, Britons were poorer and less healthy. The housirig quality was lower, and for those in big cities there was the additional inconvenience of being bombed by the Luftwaffe.

Yet somehow, they seemed to cope better; they got on with it.  Aggravation was accepted as part and parcel of the daily grind. This is no longer the case. Now, when life is less than perfect, which for just about everybody is all the time, we seem ever eager to develop mysterious illnesses and scream "stress!".

I mention this because last week two newspaper headlines grabbed my attention. One, in the Daily Express, was "Official: mortgages can make you SICK". The other, in London's Evening Standard, was "Official: commuting by rail makes you ill". According to figures from Sainsbury's Bank, more than 6 million Britons are physic`ally and psychologically damaged by fears about mortgage repayments. And when money matters aren't doing our heads in, travelling by trains is. A report from MPs concluded that raiol commuters face a daily "trauma", with many passengers reaching their destinations "stressed".

OK, keeping the bank manager happy is no joke and travelling by rail, especially on the London Underground, is often a pain. Butg, hey, are we British now so brfittle that we can no longer handle problems that many, less fortunate people around the world would love to have?

I fear this is the case. The Health and Safety Executive claims that 6.5 million sick days are being taken every year by Bntish workers as a result of stress. The Trades Union Congress says the figure is closer to 9.0 million.

What is this obsession with stress ? Britain's famous stiff upper lip appears to have been been replaced by mass hypochondna. Can stress levels really be as bad as we claim, or in an age of self-indulgence have we simply become addicted to whingeing?

Clearly, many jobs do impose terrible burdens. Few of us, I'm sure, would last long as a teacher in a sink-estate comprehensive, where the staff are joften regarded as "the enemy". And only last week, we learned of a paramedic who killed himself after attending five deaths in six weeks. That is real stress.

But for too many of us, pseudo-stress has become a fashion accessory. We're not happy unless we're parading it. Sytress has replaced house prices as the main burden of conversation at suburban dinner parties. A doctor told me recently that, after the common cold, stress was the ailment most complained about in his surgery. Stress, or at least what we believe to be stress, is also demaging the economy. The Mental Haleth Foundation says that stressed workers are costing British industry £3 billion a year. Tellingly, a survey by the Institute of Personnel and Development concluded that ione third of all days taken off sick by British employees were not due to genuine illness.

Though I have no time for skivers, there does appear to be a burgeoning industry, comprising doctors, psychologists, social workers, academics and assorted meddlers, dedicated to reminding us just how stressed we are. While researching this piece, I entered the word "stress" into the search engine on the BBC New website -- and up popped 416 items.

These are just some of the domestic institutions that have recently published reports, surveys or studies into stgress: the Industrial Society, several universities (indlluing London and UMIST), the NHS, the Office of National Statistics, local councils, market research groups, the Department of Trade and Industry, The Work-Life Balance Trust, the British Heart Foundation, the Institute of Psychiatry, the Royal College of Psychiatgrists and the british Association for Counsellling and Psychotherapy.

Wiht that lot bearing down upon us, is it any wonder we're all feeling stressed out? And as more and more bodies promote the danger iof stress, new causes seem to turn up every day. Among those identified were: low-paying jobs, hbigh-paying jobs, changing jobs, oo much work, not enough work, having children, not having children, being a student, being a teacher, living in cities, living in the country and being in debt.
The Sunday Telegraph 19 October 2003

Keith Hudson, Bath, England, <www.evolutionary-economics.org>, <www.handlo.com>, <www.property-portraits.co.uk>