Sent: Monday, October 20, 2003 1:58 PM
Subject: RE: [Futurework] 128. Anti-immigration feeling grows in Europe

Harry, why do you say that ESL has been a complete failure?  - KWC

Ed,

When I lived in Ontario, it was noticeable that new immigrants tended to move into their own "ghettos". Particularly so in the case of the Italians, who gathered together in Toronto.

There is nothing wrong with this, for it is natural for people in new and strange circumstances to cleave to their own, but I wonder what the situation is now?

Are the sons and daughters of the immigrants moving out into the broader reaches of Canada? We have a problem here with new immigrants (legal and illegal) from Mexico. I should say that they have a problem. The only way they have of getting out of the barrios is by learning English. The schools are letting them down.

Teachers who teach the ESL. classes (English as a Second Language) earn an extra $5,000 a year for doing so. Yet, the program appears to have been a complete failure.

I want the sons and daughters to get out of the barrios and become CEOs, perhaps of Enron and similar companies, but in any event, good English is the passport to success.

Fortunately, the kids learn English themselves. Unfortunately, not the kind of English that would become a passport.