Selma,

At 09:17 27/10/2003 -0500, you wrote:
Harry,

As you may or may not remember from messages I have posted in the very distant past on this list, I worry less about our being overwhelmed with stupid poor people and more about all the geniuses that are lost because simply because they are born into poverty and remain there.

Selma

I wouldn't worry too much about lost geniuses. Most geniuses are considered not to have astronomical IQs. Their IQs are around 130 more usually than not -- and there are many times more individuals with this level of IQ who never achieve any prominence or creativity. The main trait of geniuses (besides having a reasonably good IQ and an enquiring mind) is persistence of purpose and stamina. Geniuses can, and do, rise up from the lowest social strata, and then, when they latch onto a problem, or an interesting line of enquiry, never let it go.

My sympathy goes to those geniuses who actually do succeed in solving problems and creating new ideas -- but who cannot convince others around them and they go unrecognised. I think the numbers of these far outweigh those who remain inhibited by their circumstances.

Keith

----- Original Message -----
From: Harry Pollard
To: 'Selma Singer' ; 'Ray Evans Harrell' ; 'Keith Hudson' ; 'Harry Pollard'
Cc: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Sunday, October 26, 2003 7:19 PM
Subject: Over and under pop (was More hardwiring)

Selma,

People who worry about such things are often vocal about the failure of the West to maintain their populations. Also, they relate the fecundity of the "lower classes" (and by implication the intellectually challenged classes) to the childless, or single child families of the professional classes.

Wasn't it Murray with his "Bell curve" who warned us all of the dire consequences of a future in which the less able in every way would be increasing in numbers, even as the intellectually brilliant people were diminishing and perhaps dying out. Science-fiction writers tend to be futurists. You may remember me mentioning "The Marching Morons" - with which more than 50 years ago Kornbluth entertainingly brought this future to our attention.

However, this is something that governments, countries, economies, are concerned with. All of them try to manipulate us, and worrying about a diminishing population takes its place beside worrying about an increasing population.

Harry