I can't make out who has said what in this interchange.

But no matter: you're all wrong. Or, rather, you are all not tackling the main problem.

If we protect jobs and refuse to outsource jobs then our trade will diminish, the price of home-made consumer goods will rise, and our standard of living will diminish. We will be like the indigenous Tasmanians who were cut off from Australia when the sea level rose. From being hunter-gatherers with many skills who traded their products with others, they became less and less skilled until in the end they were unable even to fish or to make their own clothes.

If we allow outsourcing ad lib then our standard of living rises but the skill-content of a least an appreciable proportion of the remaining jobs must necessarily rise and more people will be left behind. In all developed countries there is now a growing underclass totally dependent on welfare, and a growing sub-middle-class who have to be subsidised.

The reason for all this is that ever since we became man we have treated the natural world around us as capital to be exploited and have thus been able to experience "economic growth" -- particularly since the exploitation of oil and gas fields. (Hundreds of millions of years of concentrated solar power -- all likely to have been gone within a few hundreds years.) Sooner or later, if we are capable of being wise enough (and clever enough), we ought to learn to live off the revenue of this earth as all the rest of nature does -- that is, to learn how to use the prodigious quantities of solar radiation we receive.

Keith Hudson