Keith:

> We have other signs, too, for which we have no parallels in mammalian
> observation but which are disturbing just the same. We have a growing
> underclass which is totally dependent on the state and which lives in
> housing estates from hell without any of the normal facilities which might
> be expected in any civilised society. We have a growing drug problem. We
> have a growing paedophilia problem. We have a growing pornography problem.
> We have a dumbing down of our educational system so that only maybe 20-30%
> of our children have an educational experiences which stretches them,
> brings out their latent abilities and gives them the excitement of
> learning. We have a society which lives off science but despises it at the
> same time.We have a so-called 'democratic' system of governance in which
> only a (declining) proportion of the electorate take part, which has become
> little more than showbiz which elects political leaders who are
> intellectual pygmies -- such as Bush in America and the
> soon-to-be-dethroned Ian Duncan-Smith of the Tory Party in England.
Keith, I recently watched a TV piece on eighteenth and nineteenth century England, and London in particular, that brought William Hogarth's gin lane and William Blake's little chimney sweep to life.  After watching things like that and reading some history, I really can't believe that conditions now are very much worse than they were then.  My research on the German Peasants' War of 1525 reveals that conditions were not much better then either.  The end of the world and the second coming were at hand.( http://members.eisa.com/~ec086636/german_peasants_war.htm)   And what my parents and grandparents remembered of growing up in eastern and central Europe during the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries suggested absolutely appalling conditions.  I don't think the current generation has any kind of monopoly on misery.

From my experience here in Canada, I don't believe that education is being dumbed down, and even if it is, kids now have to opportunity to get an education, whereas a couple of generations ago, they didn't.   And porn, drugs, alcohol and pedophilia have always been with us.  On the matter of pedophilia, some absolutely horrible things happened to kids in deepest, darkest Saskatchewan when I was a child.  Later, when my family moved to Winnipeg, every young teen knew they had to watch out for Herbert the Pervert.

> All these symptoms are part of a big suicide note which western
> civilisation is now writing. Something is going badly wrong and we need to
> discuss what it might be. It cannot be a democratic discussion in the sense
> that we normally define the term because most people for most of the time
> are simply not interested in complex problems, nor are they trained to do
> so. Nor should we be put up for much longer -- though I suspect we will --
> governmental systems which are stuffed full of lawyers and business people
> but which do not include those who are accustomed to think objectively. Our
> own House of Commons with over 600 MPs contains no more than a dozen who
> have been scientifically trained.
If I were not so polite, I might suggest that the above is rather arrogant.  People are interested in complex problems because they live with them every day.  However, politely, it makes me want to think of whom I would choose to come up with solutions to the plight of western civilization in it's current state of decline.  I might choose a scientist or two, but I would also choose an Indian I worked with from the central Yukon, an uneducated white person I knew from far northern Alberta, and, as he himself put it, "a little Jewish boy from Bialystok" in eastern Poland who happened to be a Canadian delegate to the UN.  All three had little formal education, but possessed an uncanny ability to see through and analyse social and political behaviour.

Ed