chance or synchronicity brought this word of the day.

arthur

-----Original Message-----
From: Wordsmith [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Wednesday, October 29, 2003 12:03 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: A.Word.A.Day--nirvana

nirvana (nir-VAH-nuh) noun

   1. Freedom from the endless cycle of birth and death and related
suffering,
      in Hindu and Buddhist religions.

   2. An idealized state or place free of pain, worries, etc.

[From Sanskrit nirvana (blowing out, extinguishing, extinction), from nis-
(out) + vati (it blows). The word wind derives from the same root.]

  "`Hawaii looks like nirvana' compared to the rest of the country, said
Emily
   Friedman, a Chicago-based health policy analyst who authored a history on
   the island health care system."
   Matt Sedensky; Hawaii's Uninsured Population; Star Bulletin
   (Honolulu, Hawaii); Oct 22, 2003.

  "To have those two incredible finishes -- involving these two particular
   franchises, Cubs and Red Sox -- on back-to-back nights was baseball
   nirvana."
   David Sheinin; Major League Baseball; Washington Post; Oct 21, 2003.

This week's theme: words derived from Sanskrit.

Sponsored by:
Thinking Putty: Try an awesome stress reliever: Crazy Aaron's Thinking
Putty!
In adult-sized handfuls and amazing colors, http://puttyworld.com

And
"Stoopnagle's Tale Is Twisted," a collection of 43 stories including
"Beeping
Sleauty," offered by Stone and Scott, Publishers: http://StoneandScott.com

If you give me six lines written by the most honest man, I will find
something in them to hang him. -Cardinal Richelieu (1585-1642)

What to give to the person who has everything? Give the gift of words.
Here is a gift that keeps on giving. To enter a gift subscription of
A.Word.A.Day, please visit http://wordsmith.org/awad/gift.html

Pronunciation:
http://wordsmith.org/words/nirvana.wav
http://wordsmith.org/words/nirvana.ram