Finally, a description of who FWers are and what we do!!!

-----Original Message-----
From: Wordsmith [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Thursday, October 30, 2003 12:06 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: A.Word.A.Day--pundit

pundit (PUN-dit) noun also pandit

   1. A learned person.

   2. A person who offers commentary or judgments as an expert on
      a certain topic.

[From Hindi pandit, from Sanskrit pandita (learned).]

  "According to a top psychologist, the brain starts working the moment
you're
   born and never stops until you become a TV football pundit. I understand
our
   psychologist actually reached his conclusion, having studied Mercy Green,
   the most famous pundit in the history of punditry. Mercy Green is not the
   real name; it's an anagram I'm using so as not to get on the wrong side
of
   him."
   Grant Us Mercy; Daily Record (Glasgow, UK); Oct 22, 2003.

  "This is not entirely unheard of among political columnists, but the
   typical Washington pundit is stupefyingly uninformed about economics,
   a field in which Krugman is exceedingly well informed."
   Russell Baker; The Awful Truth; The New York Review of Books; Nov 6,
2003.

This week's theme: words derived from Sanskrit.

Sponsors' Messages:
Try an awesome stress reliever: Crazy Aaron's Thinking Putty!
In adult-sized handfuls and amazing colors, http://puttyworld.com

And
Never stop learning! Get FREE history, science & culture every week--with
KnowledgeNews. http://knowledgenews.net/ssl/signup.pl?a=t&c=fm1&s=aw103003

If you want creative workers, give them enough time to play. -John Cleese,
comic actor (1939- )

Feeling information overload? Sign off a few mailing lists. If you wish
to unsubscribe from AWAD, send a blank message to [EMAIL PROTECTED]
with the word unsubscribe in the subject line of your message. Of course,
we'd rather you stay with us. After all, it is only a `word' a day. (-:

Pronunciation:
http://wordsmith.org/words/pundit.wav
http://wordsmith.org/words/pundit.ram